Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi" I'm new at this and could really use somme info.

my 89 yj 2.5 5speed won't run right now that it's gotten cold out. when its in the garage all nite it will run fine but let it sit out in the cold for hrs. it will start right up but will not idle, you must keep pumping the gas pretty fast to keep going when u go to shift a push clutch in it will stall. once engine gets warmed up it will run fine. I replaced the air temp sensor, checked the distributor cap for moisture, plugs a wires are new,sprayed carb cleaner, injector is sprayinf fuel at idle and while accelerating.

could the choke be the problem it just seems like it thinks it warm out when its not.

thanks for any help riverrat

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Fuel filter? Moisture in the gas? Try adding some dry gas, if you still have the problem, change your fuel filter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What Is Dry Gas???....heet Maybe?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I don't think they need Drygas in Georgia. It is an additive that will take the water out of your gas. The water gets in there up here in the colder states when you get condensation inside your tank.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We Have A Product In Georgia Called "heet" But All The Meth Cookers Use It In Making Meth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guess i was hopeing it wasn't the fuel pump! but it was after 3 hrs of trying to get a bolt out to drop the tank I succeded , put the new pump in she now runs like the tired ole 2.5liter that she is tiref but runs good. thanks for all the advice on what it might have been. did try ur ideas but to non avail, then i gave in nothing left but fuel pump THANKS AGAIN!!! riverrat

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any ideas on an engine swap that doenn't entail major re wiring or changing puters ???? Or is this not an option not sure if i want to keep the orig engine it and rebuild. or drop a bigger engine any thoughts, TY again riverrat

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
any kind of bigger engine that you can think of to swap in will require a lot of rewiring..... but best bet would be for a 4.0L as it will drop in and a stock wireharness is made for the Jeep so everything will be the proper length.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4.0 engine swap

thanks for the info on the 4.0 swap what about bolting up to the original 5 speed trans from a 2.5 ???

ty riverrat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts