Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First my AEV tire carrier failed so started over and installed a new LOD bumper and tire carrier - awesome upgrade.

couple weeks later my drag link attenuator failed - just replaced that this weekend.

Took the Jeep out for a nice open air ride and hike yesterday and was on a washboard road so enabled the E-disconnect for the sway bar and... failed. blinking light on the dash :banghead:

Fuse is OK, connector not corroded - have to travel today so no time to disassemble and troubleshoot it till Friday.

I may need to sacrifice a chicken to appease the Jeep gods!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sorry to hear that man.

If it makes you feel any better my front axle shaft and end link bit the dust yesterday....

That's a fun trail repair...yikes!

·
Registered
930 Posts
The light flashes during activation and deactivation or if activation conditions are not met, so if you weren’t in 4WD, or if you were going too fast (over 15-20MPH), or if there was too much suspension articulation the light would just flash and it would not disconnect. Sorry if I’m passing on info you already knew, but didn’t want you to troubleshoot a non-existent issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The light flashes during activation and deactivation or if activation conditions are not met, so if you weren’t in 4WD, or if you were going too fast (over 15-20MPH), or if there was too much suspension articulation the light would just flash and it would not disconnect. Sorry if I’m passing on info you already knew, but didn’t want you to troubleshoot a non-existent issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always appreciate helpful input, but yeah I am aware of those things. Been using my Rubicon hard for 4 years so who knows what happened. Hoping I can fix it; there are some good YouTube videos on taking it apart.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear that man.

If it makes you feel any better my front axle shaft and end link bit the dust yesterday....

Ouch! That certainly doesn't make me feel better, but at least I'm in good company :)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So fixed the electronic sway bar disconnect issue tonight.

Took the big connector apart and it was full of dirt (former mud I'm sure) cleaned all of the crap out and then sprayed contact cleaner on every possible area. Put it back on and the sway bar works fine.

PSA for anyone with the dreaded flashing sway bar light; definitely try the easy stuff first.

I just don't understand why that connector is not a sealed system. I'll be doing something soon to seal it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Weekend prior to my departure for EJS this year, sway bar light went flashing on me too. Connector looked fine. Removed motor, I was greeted with muddy water. Shook the motor, I could hear water sloshing around. Disassembled the motor, I could see burnt marks on the circuit board where the magic smoke was released. Made a cover out of HDPE, drilled a hole in the bottom to drain. Installed RK disconnects that came with lift. It will not be replaced. Only swaybar disconnect that I've seen and really like is the G2 one. But it's damn pricey. Have not seen one in the wild yet.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
So fixed the electronic sway bar disconnect issue tonight.

Took the big connector apart and it was full of dirt (former mud I'm sure) cleaned all of the crap out and then sprayed contact cleaner on every possible area. Put it back on and the sway bar works fine.

PSA for anyone with the dreaded flashing sway bar light; definitely try the easy stuff first.

I just don't understand why that connector is not a sealed system. I'll be doing something soon to seal it.
Did that on my 09 twice. After I had the same issue the third time, replaced it with a EVO 1087 and a ProCal to shut down the Smartbar sensor.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Always appreciate helpful input, but yeah I am aware of those things. Been using my Rubicon hard for 4 years so who knows what happened. Hoping I can fix it; there are some good YouTube videos on taking it apart.
They are super easy to take apart. I got ahold of a broken one and took it apart. It was somehow filled with mud. Cleaning it out and regreasing it solved everything.

ETA: And if I'd continued scrolling I'd have seen that you did the same thing and had the same results.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are super easy to take apart. I got ahold of a broken one and took it apart. It was somehow filled with mud. Cleaning it out and regreasing it solved everything.

ETA: And if I'd continued scrolling I'd have seen that you did the same thing and had the same results.
Yeah - One of these weekends I'll likely take it apart and do expect to find it clogged with dirt and mud. Spent 20 hours under it last weekend on repairs and maintenance so that will be another day.

Have a trail run in the mountains in a couple of days so time to play.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most people just wait until it fails and replaces it with the Currie AntiRock here. Less headache lol.
I don't know Austin, that seems like the worst of both worlds. Not as much travel on the trail and not as firm on the road.

Not speaking from any experience other than what I've researched.

2,795 Posts
I don't know Austin, that seems like the worst of both worlds. Not as much travel on the trail and not as firm on the road.

Me and Jason here both run the AntiRock and haven't had any real problems with it. now putting them on is def another story lol.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah - One of these weekends I'll likely take it apart and do expect to find it clogged with dirt and mud. Spent 20 hours under it last weekend on repairs and maintenance so that will be another day.

Have a trail run in the mountains in a couple of days so time to play.
The best way I found to clean this stuff out quickly and thoroughly was compressed air. I used my compressor and an air gun and blew the dirt and mud and grime off. Canned air should work, but you might go through a bunch of it. This saved me a lot of time once I finally started doing that instead of using the wire brush and rags.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My ball joint came loose in the knuckle. The only fix was to weld on a new knuckle or replace the axle housing. I thought replacing the knuckle would be a good repair if done right, but getting it done right was a gamble. I coughed for a Teraflex axle housing and some RCV axles since it was apart.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
And I'm chasing DW that started after leaving the Off Road Park I was at Saturday. That was a long, sloooow 150 mile ride.

Looks like it's the track bar bushings and axle side mounting bracket.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Agreed.
Why sacrifice road performance? I always get the "it's not that different...you get used to it." What's to "get used to" if it doesn't change the cornering or suspension feel? No. It's not a sportscar. But I don't want to make it worse.
Everyone has an Anti here- but Currie is also in the 'hood so that might have a little to do with it. I got rid of my finicky e-disco, got quick disconnects and never looked back. I can disconnect before my second tire is aired down. I just don't get why that's so hard for people- the exception being mud-wheeling and for the occasional "I'll take that fire road" urge. Otherwise I just keep ye old rubber mallet and small-ish crowbar on the back of my Bartact. Plus I have a weapon handy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts