·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #422

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
So the 3 day camping trip looks like it might be 4 days. Ordering in all the goodies for this type of trek (which is new to me)

In:
New Teraflex accessory mount
42" Hi LIft
Cobra 29LTD CB (replacing handheld)
Firestik II antenna (2')
Knife/saw
Shovel

Still waiting on:
Trasharoo
Tarp (to drape over rear of Jeep, potty privacy for the wife)
Portable toilet (for wife)
New air mattress
Stove
Pans

Hopefully everything will be in next week so I can pack up for a dry run, make sure everything fits.

It was suggested on another forum that I get this reading material for my wife, who's biggest concern is the ability to potty while camping. So I'm waiting on it to be delivered too.

On another note, we had our first warranty issue with the Jeep (34,500 miles) The drivers heated seat went out. Took it in for repair and they gave the wife a Cherokee rental. You can tell by the look on her face how excited she is about her new Jeep :D

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Holy white flowers Batman!

:funnypost:...:lmao:...:rofl:

Bought fell out of the chair laughing. :thumb:
I have never seen that book, but have added it to the Amazon wish list and will get a few copies for stocking stuffers this Christmas.

Sorry to read you guys have to Low-Ride it while the Jeeps in the shop. But at least you'll have warm butts this winter!

Should be an awesome trip. :beerdrinking:

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Jeep is packed and we're off.
Did a fully loaded run yesterday and went by the scales, 5880 pounds minus the wife. With GCWR of 8,355 lbs we're in good shape.

Final list is as follows:
5 gallon Jerry can
9500 pound winch
Hi Lift jack
Shackles
Straps
Air compressor
Tire plug kit (w/extra plugs)
CB
Full socket set
Shovel
Knife/saw
Jumper Battery
Misc wrenches, screw drivers, zip ties, etc
Air mattress (sleeping in Jeep)
Sleeping bags/pillows
TP
Water
Food
Cooler
Stove/pans/plates, etc
Duct tape
Sledge
Long gun, pistols, extra ammo
Ratchet straps
Gear oil
Fire extinguisher
Lighter
Lantern (LED)
Flashlights
Batteries
iPad w/ movies
Tarp
Chairs
Folding table
Coffee pot/coffee (wife's)
Folding toilet stool
Trasharoo
Camera
Go Pro
  • Top rear shelf has case (strapped down) w/ tools/air compressor/etc, water, toilet, air mattress & Jerry can (strapped down, tested to make sure no odor/leaks).
  • Bottom rear has water bottles, battery pack, tarp, case with stove, case with bedding, fire extinguisher, lantern & chairs.
  • Back seat (folded down) has folding table, cooler, case with dry food/clothing.
  • Rifle is mounted on the rear roll bar with an improvised mount (grab handle & straps)

There was more I would like to have purchased, but the budget didn't allow this time. We'll be in a group of 10 Jeeps so I think it'll be alright.

Did some maintenance: Oil change, grease ball joints, rotate tires, air filter & rear diff fluid.

I'll post pics here as I can.

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
Here's a few pics from the weekend:

This house is Civil war era:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Awesome looking trip, and it looks like the only thing that was missing from the jeep was the deep fryer. Got to have fries around the fire :)

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
Awesome looking trip, and it looks like the only thing that was missing from the jeep was the deep fryer. Got to have fries around the fire :)
Thanks ReBoot! Fries huh?? LOL :D

That looks like a lot of fun! Makes me want to go explore that area!
I wish I had a way to map it, got to get up on this off-road mapping/GPS thing. Was the best trip I've been on so far!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Same here, I'm starting to explore the Oklahoma adventure trail but I'm stuck with my paper maps until I get a GPS unit.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Might want to try Back Country Navigator app for a smart phone. Takes a bit to get used to, but I'm very happy with the performance on Android.

If you have an iphone, I've read a lot of good things about the Gaia app.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Might want to try Back Country Navigator app for a smart phone. Takes a bit to get used to, but I'm very happy with the performance on Android. If you have an iphone, I've read a lot of good things about the Gaia app.
I can vouch for Gaia on the iPhone. Good app and good support when I had an issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Might want to try app for a smart phone. Takes a bit to get used to, but I'm very happy with the performance on Android.

If you have an iphone, I've read a lot of good things about the Gaia app.
I can vouch for Gaia on the iPhone. Good app and good support when I had an issue.
Thanks guys!
I'm googling a little about both of them, do you think this article (considering the source) is a fair conclusion? Gaia GPS - iPhone & Android - Offline Topo Maps

On a completely separate note:
I run the smitty XRC rear bumper (no tire carrier) and had an issue when I was loaded down. The Jeep sagged, the bumper stayed the same and I experienced the back door rubbing on the bumper. Normally there's 3/16" clearance, but 0 clearance under load.
So I'm considering a Teraflex body lift as a solution. @Comanche Scott what do you think? With the larger tires I think I could use a little extra room anyways.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
It is them saying their product is best but I will speak for my experience with them... I use it as a backup for work I have a waypoint database that is quite large and when I first tried it when trying to drag the map and look around the app would crash. I sent them a bug report describing my problem and they got back to me almost right away and clarified the nature of the problem. One of their guys then built a large waypoint file to replicate the problem and figured out how to fix it. They kept me updated while they worked the fix and let me know when the update went live. Since then the fix has worked quite well and I have had no issues. The software seems to handle large map and point files without issue in my use.

I was pretty surprised how hands on they were with my bug report I wasn't expecting it at all and the fix worked as advertised.

Unfortunately I don't have any backcountry navigator experience because I have been an iPhone guy for a while. I know one of my coworkers recently ran into a problem with map display off network (kind of the sole purpose for using these programs) I will see if I can get more info from him and report back.

421 - 440 of 1163 Posts