Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading on this forum for a few years collecting ideas. I finally ordered a JKUHR in January, and it was delivered this last Friday.

Meet "Brutus":

2016 JK Unlimited Hard Rock in Granite Crystal
Freedom Top with Headliner
Supplemental Front Seat-Mounted Airbags
5-speed Automatic
4.10 Axle
430N Radio
Remote Start
Auto Air

Current and on hand planned build items:
Front bumper
Maximus-3 Stinger with stars
Maximus-3 D-Ring loops with hi-lift jack point
Warn Zeon 10S winch
Maximus-3 Filler Plates
Maximus-3 Low license plate mount
IPF 900 lights

Rear bumper
Maximus-3 Rear tire carrier
Hi-lift jack carrier
RotoPax carrier
Center high mount work light
Rugged Ridge Hitch Kit

Other
Besttop under seat storage box
Rugged Ridge rear tail light brackets
SPOD with Aeroforce gauge

Future build items:
Dirty Acres subdued US flag grill insert (on order)
Some personalized decals
OTRATTW custom rockers for SPOD
2.5" lift with 33" tires
Windshield pillar lights
Mygig Lockpick Pro and rear camera(s)
Dash cam
Tail gate table/MOLLE rack
CB radio and antennae
CAT back exhaust (perhaps Borla)
Cold air intake

Well that's enough to keep me going for some time now. I'm planning on some military related decals with an aviation theme. Planning on some trail riding this coming June in Angel Fire, NM, and up to Durango, CO. Hope to have all my current on hand items completed by then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First Build Work

I had a great start today with the following mods:

Besttop under seat storage box:

This wasn't to difficult. You have to remove a bracket under the seat that's used to mount wire bundles though. They had to be zip tied under the seat bracket. Mostly out of view unless you bend down to look under the seat.

Rugged Ridge tail light brackets and hitch kit:

Well that's it for today. I have to find a part for my angle grinder before I dig into the front bumper. Perhaps I'll get the rear tire carrier completed this week.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Welcome to the hard rock club! It would have been a very difficult decision if Granite was an option when I ordered my Jeep last year.

I read through your build list and it looks great! I would suggest you read this thread before you go with the Maximus winch mount though, cliff note version is the new Mopar mount is better suited for the job as the Maximus mount doesn't meet all of the Zeon 10-s requirements and the Mopar mount is more stout. I was dead set on the Maximus mount as I have the stinger and tire carrier and really like them until I read that thread. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

Can't wait to follow along with your build though, from the list you have it's going to be great!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the hard rock club! It would have been a very difficult decision if Granite was an option when I ordered my Jeep last year.

I read through your build list and it looks great! I would suggest you read this thread before you go with the Maximus winch mount though, cliff note version is the new Mopar mount is better suited for the job as the Maximus mount doesn't meet all of the Zeon 10-s requirements and the Mopar mount is more stout. I was dead set on the Maximus mount as I have the stinger and tire carrier and really like them until I read that thread. Just thought I'd give a heads up.

Can't wait to follow along with your build though, from the list you have it's going to be great!

To be honest Anvil was my first choice, but by the time I pulled the trigger on the order it was no longer available. My first car was about the same color as granite, so it's high on my list. I love the deep color with the red recovery hooks.

Thanks for the thread recommendation, I'll read through it. I already have the Maximus parts, but I guess I wouldn't be out to much if I replace the mount.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, do you have a link to the thread about the Mopar mount? Did you get a winch installed with the Mopar mount and the Maximus stinger?

I've read through your build thread, and I'm subscribed to it. The powder coated springs sounds like a fantastic idea. I guess I'll have that done when I do the lift.

I'm going to search Beergod's threads for helpful hints on the tire carrier install. If you have a quick link for that as well I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to get most of the Maximus tire carrier installed over the past few days. I still have a couple of accessories to install (RotoPax, Hi-Lift mount). I Hope to have it all done tomorrow. I installed the rear light, but it's not connected yet. I have to run the wire forward and get the sPOD installed as well.

Here is how the tire carrier package was wrapped:

All the hardware was packaged with the specific parts, and some of it was partially assembled. Prior to opening the boxes I was worried I was going to have to organize all the nuts and bolts!

After getting the hinges mounted it was evident I was going to have to do a little touch up on the paint:

Here's the carrier with the spare, brake light, and rear work light. If anyone has run wire from the rear I would appreciate a reply on the best place to run it. There's a grommet just to the right of the tailgate center vent that looks like a good place to enter the tailgate. Any interior run ideas through the cabin would be helpful.

Maybe tomorrow I can get electrical started on the rear work light and sPOD. The sPOD install doesn't look to difficult. There's plenty of video reference on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few more mods finished. I'm still waiting for my cutoff guard to my angle grinder. I need it to cut the bumper for the winch and Maximus D-ring hook installs.

I finished up the rear tire carrier. I have to purchase some RotoPax containers yet. Looks like the clearance is just about zero between the Hi-lift jack and taillight guards. Maximus has a replacement bolt for one of the tailgate hinges that is used as a bump stop that you adjust to prevent carrier/taillight contact. It has a rubber cover placed on top of it which is used to protect the carrier tubing on contact. It's not going to last long. I filed down the head of the bolt (ID lettering) to make it as smooth as possible. It gets some surface shear movement on contact due to the difference is swing between the tailgate and tire carrier. Maximus needs to find a better product for the end of this bolt.

The following is with the tailgate open to the bump stop. It's just past the stock over center lock, so it does stay open. You could push on it and make contact with the taillight, so you will have to be conscious of it and not throw the tailgate open.

I couldn't wait any longer and put the stinger bar on. I'll only have to undo two bolts when I remove the bumper later. I put the light accessory bar on, but held off on the IPF900 lights until the bumper is completed.

I love modding the front end. It's going to look hot when I get my Dirty Acres US flag grill insert and those big IPF lights mounted!

I Started some of the sPOD last night, and hope to finish it today. I've been off for a few days, but it's time to go back to work. Things are going to slow down for a few weeks. Looks like the winch will be down the road a bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sPOD, OTRATTW, Warn Zeon 10S, Maximus-3 D-ring Loops with Hi-Lift Jack point

I've had a few days over the past couple of weeks to get some items done.

I finished up the sPOD install along with some OTRATTW custom rockers and the Aeroforce Guage. OTRATTW offered me a military discount, but the code would not work. I submitted my order with the code in the notes, but it was not honored. I would suggest calling in an order if you want to pursue this.

The Aeroforce Guage fired right up. It took about 30 minutes to go through the menus and get the items I wanted selected. I currently have it displaying instantaneous MPG, and battery voltage, and can cycle through many others.

I finished up the front bumper today with the Warn Zeon 10S install, Maximus D-Ring Loops with Hi-lift jack points, and IPF lights.

Here is a picture of the bumper with all the cut out mods for the Maximus-3 D-ring Loops. Also to note is that the current 10A/X bumper has a bigger opening for the fairlead. I only had to drill a larger opening for one of the bolts, and not make the fairlead opening bigger as stated in the Maximus directions.

Here is the winch on the Maximus plate along with the D-Ring Loops.

Now the Zeon 10S line is not fun to install. Mine was packed with the plastic zip tie to pull the line through the drum. This does not work, and is no longer shipped beginning in 2016. Warn now ships these with wire. I called about the zip tie and was informed of the wire. They said a coat hanger, which I used, would work. First you need to flatten the line with a dead blow hammer to help get it through the drum.

Here's the process of pulling the line through with the coat hanger. Insure you pull the loop far enough through to put the anchor in:

I have to spool the line tight yet, but here is the front bumper with IPF lights installed:

I just received the Mygig Lockpick with backup camera the other day, and plan on starting that tomorrow. That's if I can move after assembling the winch and bumper today! I also have the Warn interrupt kit arriving tomorrow. This might be overkill, but it seemed like a good idea when I ordered it.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Congrats on the new HR! You're making great progress on building it out:thumb:

-Steven

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Wow, the build is moving right along, looks great!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll follow....looking good, I have several of the same mods in the works as well.

We have been in Angel Fire and Red River the past 2 New Year's I snapped this pix this year

Carry on

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eberybody's doing it...

I'll jump into the Hard Rock Vent club. Cut mine open! Pretty quick with a Dremel and plastic cutting wheel. I outlined the edges prior to popping them out, and then cut carefully as not to go to deep.

Stay cool my friend.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I've had a few days over the past couple of weeks to get some items done. I finished up the sPOD install along with some OTRATTW custom rockers and the Aeroforce Guage. OTRATTW offered me a military discount, but the code would not work. I submitted my order with the code in the notes, but it was not honored. I would suggest calling in an order if you want to pursue this. The Aeroforce Guage fired right up. It took about 30 minutes to go through the menus and get the items I wanted selected. I currently have it displaying instantaneous MPG, and battery voltage, and can cycle through many others. I finished up the front bumper today with the Warn Zeon 10S install, Maximus D-Ring Loops with Hi-lift jack points, and IPF lights. Here is a picture of the bumper with all the cut out mods for the Maximus-3 D-ring Loops. Also to note is that the current 10A/X bumper has a bigger opening for the fairlead. I only had to drill a larger opening for one of the bolts, and not make the fairlead opening bigger as stated in the Maximus directions. Here is the winch on the Maximus plate along with the D-Ring Loops. Now the Zeon 10S line is not fun to install. Mine was packed with the plastic zip tie to pull the line through the drum. This does not work, and is no longer shipped beginning in 2016. Warn now ships these with wire. I called about the zip tie and was informed of the wire. They said a coat hanger, which I used, would work. First you need to flatten the line with a dead blow hammer to help get it through the drum. Here's the process of pulling the line through with the coat hanger. Insure you pull the loop far enough through to put the anchor in: I have to spool the line tight yet, but here is the front bumper with IPF lights installed: I just received the Mygig Lockpick with backup camera the other day, and plan on starting that tomorrow. That's if I can move after assembling the winch and bumper today! I also have the Warn interrupt kit arriving tomorrow. This might be overkill, but it seemed like a good idea when I ordered it.
What do you think of the aeroforce gauge? I think I'm going to switch my spod with air gauge for the one with the aeroforce gauge but I haven't found a lot of feedback of people think it is worth the money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do you think of the aeroforce gauge? I think I'm going to switch my spod with air gauge for the one with the aeroforce gauge but I haven't found a lot of feedback of people think it is worth the money.
Yeah the price is the biggest drawback. Not sure yet if it's worth the money, but it looks cool. It's in an awkward location to put it in your driving scan. It has plenty of information to display. You can set it to permanently display two items, or have it cycle through a laundry list. I ordered mine from: Bolt-On Speed - Home. The gauge, Jeep face, and 9' cable shipped was $260.

You will have to Dremel down the sides of the OTRATTW rockers next to the gauge for them to lay flat. I worked slowly on them so as not to grind completely through, and then hit them with a Sharpie pen to blacken them up. You could get a better coat with some flat paint, but you have to get really close, and know it's there to see it.

I also ran some wire to the engine bay during the sPOD install that I can hook up to the aux port of the gauge for another sensor, such as the ARB compressor. It has the option for two other sensors inputs. I also ran some aux wire towards the sPOD for powering a dash cam. I used a small plastic loom protector and ran it all down the drivers side, and that was pushing the area available under the plastic.

By the way, I like your lighted sPOD switches. The Aeroforce compatible sPOD didn't come with the dual lights. It may be an option I guess if you call them, I just ordered direct from the web site. I haven't looked into replacing mine, but may if it's an option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've got the picture now...

Managed to get the Mygig Lockpick Pro installed. Now I can see what's close behind me.

Went mostly smooth, other than the small gauge wire for the camera. I soldered and heat shrink tubed them. I placed the Lockpick controller and wire bundle just under the glove compartment. This should provide quick access to install other camera inputs in the future. While removing the dash trim I managed to lose one of the plastic retainer clips near the passenger side vent. It fell behind, and is now unrecoverable without tearing more apart. It's near the screw behind the window controller, and the dash trim appears to be tight without it after install. Maybe the clip will jiggle free in a bit and fall out. This wouldn't have happened if I had remembered to install the lower screw behind the window controller leading me to pull the dash trim off a second time!

I wish I would have had the CB radio antennae wire to run out to the rear mount. I hate to pull the tailgate plastic wire cover off again, as the tabs seem to have weakened a bit.

Here's the camera mounted behind the spare tire.

I ordered the entire package from Coastal Tech. They have a Jeep Wrangler Kit: WRANGLER CAMERA KIT

1 - 20 of 25 Posts