Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an 03 Sahara, so have the slightly wider stock flares. If I was to run 33x10.5x15 tyres, what back spacing on the wheel (15x8) would I need to keep the tread of the tyre covered by the flares?

If you got pics that would be great too.

Cheers. FarmerTom.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have stock alloys w 1" hubcentric spacers... the tires just barely have room to allow full steering without rubbing so 1" more than stock is the minimum.
I believe there are 3 stock flare widths... I have a columbia edition which I believe has the middle width...
My tread is covered and the sidewalls bulge ever so slightly past the front flares
My flares measure 4 3/4" wide at the edge
I'm running 33 10.50 km2's
Running the oem 7" wheel helps... 15x8's will have to stick out more to prevent rubbing.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Hi all,

I have an 03 Sahara, so have the slightly wider stock flares. If I was to run 33x10.5x15 tyres, what back spacing on the wheel (15x8) would I need to keep the tread of the tyre covered by the flares?

If you got pics that would be great too.

Cheers. FarmerTom.
A 10.5" wide tire needs no special wheels or backspacing, the factory 5.25" or 5.5" backspacing is fine since one of the factory size tires installed on a TJ is a 31x10.50. The closer you get to 5.5", the less the tire protrudes. You will have zero issues with the factory wheels and the factory backspacing with a 33x10.50 tire.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A 10.5" wide tire needs no special wheels or backspacing, the factory 5.25" or 5.5" backspacing is fine since one of the factory size tires installed on a TJ is a 31x10.50. The closer you get to 5.5", the less the tire protrudes. You will have zero issues with the factory wheels and the factory backspacing with a 33x10.50 tire.
Not true.... you lose 1/2 turn of the steering wheel in each direction... the width works fine but the 33" diameter does not.... stock wheels will require 1.25" spacers to run 33 10.50's

Believe me I didn't want to run spacers but had no choice.... they rubbed really bad.

EDIT, I said 1" above but it was 1.25".... that's the thinnest you can get as it has to be thick enough to protrude past the lugs n nuts.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Not true.... you lose 1/2 turn of the steering wheel in each direction... the width works fine but the 33" diameter does not.... stock wheels will require 1.25" spacers to run 33 10.50's

Believe me I didn't want to run spacers but had no choice.... they rubbed really bad.

EDIT, I said 1" above but it was 1.25".... that's the thinnest you can get as it has to be thick enough to protrude past the lugs n nuts.
With the proper suspension lift height? I've seen 33x10.50 tires on TJs with 4" of lift with the stock wheels.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
With the proper suspension lift height? I've seen 33x10.50 tires on TJs with 4" of lift with the stock wheels.
Hmmm I sooooooooo hope ur right....so far I'm still running stock suspension w the 3" body lift that came on my tj when I bought it....

The tires were hitting both the sway bar (or maybe links) and control arms with a lot of steering angle unused......i studied for a while and thought MAYBE I could use bent lower arms and different sway bar links w a lift to clear em but wasn't too hopeful...

I guess time will tell whenever I get my suspension done n ditch the 3" bl

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put 33x10.50's on my 04 sport with the stock ravine wheels. They do rub on the lower control at full lock. The tread is covered by the flares but the sidewall protrudes out beyond the flares. I would think your Sahara flares would cover the tires nicely with stock wheel offset.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Are your flares the same as mine?
My tires stick out less than yours and I'm running spacers??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts