Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 TJ SE 2.4L 6spd, 79 CJ5 258ci 4spd, 83 CJ7 258ci auto
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, my Jeep thinks it's funny and has a sense of humor, P0128 is basically one thing, air in the system and the sensors think you have a stuck open thermostat...thermostats haven't been sticking open for 40 years, unless you buy some cheaply made Chinese junk, always buy Stant/Super Stant and the correct heat range for your vehicle, typically 195 degrees.
Now a taste of my own medicine, I post on here religiously whenever some does something to their coolant system or gets this code, thought I had all the air out of mine, code didn't reappear for some 300+ miles.
Step 1) jack up front of vehicle or use ramps, purpose is to get the radiator higher than any part of the engine, 2) open radiator leave cap off, start vehicle, let it get hot, and run till it overflows coolant all over your...or catch it :p.
Do this for a good 15 plus minutes, top off radiator as the t-stat opens and fluid level drops, repeat till there's no air burping...

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Drinkware Liquid Tableware Automotive lighting Water

there's more
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fluid Automotive exhaust
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fluid Automotive tire Drinkware
Finally, no more blub blub

Top off coolant, replace cap, check and top level off to specified mark in overflow, hose off front inside and out to eliminate burning smell, and DRIVE!
Don't forget to clear the code, pos bat cable remove 15+ seconds.
Use the correct coolant for your Jeep, and no they aren't all the same.
No it's not rusty watery gunk, it's that yellow/orange coolant

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note bubble size...yes size matters, not to be confused with a blown or split head gasket which will typically result iin TINY tiny bubbles, almost like foam.

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,117 Posts
There is a funnel that you can attach to the radiator that will allow you to burp the system without spilling any. Here’s a link to one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a funnel that you can attach to the radiator that will allow you to burp the system without spilling any. Here’s a link to one.
Cool, add a hose to the funnel and direct it right back into the overflow

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,117 Posts
For? This replaces the cap. Allows fluid into the funnel and out to the radiator. No need to mess with anything other than lifting the front end.

·
Premium Member
9,950 Posts
Aim for an '03 to '04 and 4.0L manual. Sweet spot in the TJs.

Reactions: armyvet25
1 - 10 of 10 Posts