Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Budget Boost Pro/Con

43K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  T2000J 
#1 ·
I'm looking at lift kits for my 06 unlimited. The budget boost kits are obviously cheaper which is great, but what am I sacrificing by not going with new springs? thanks for the help!

#5 ·
If there's one thing you need to know about the Jeep world.... it is this: In the end it is what YOU want that matters.

IF all you want is to give the Jeep a little bit more of an aggressive look or to be able to sneak in bigger tires... then this is for you.

IF you are so hell bent on lifting the Jeep and don't want to wait another 3 weeks to save up for a bigger lift.... the BB is for you...

IF you want to slowly ease your way into the whole " lift " thing and are not too sure about how high you want to be.... the BB is for you...

There are so many more variables to consider...

a lot of people may detour you from purchasing the BB saying, just hold out and wait to get a suspension lift.

Others may say a BB is ok but make sure you get the shocks changed, too.

The next guy will tell you...... and so on and so on.

Bottom line... do some research and decide what YOU want

Pros:
cheap
easy to install
quickly lift your Jeep
fits bigger tires

Cons:
-will need to be taken out if you want suspension lift
-you may enjoy the look/feel of the lift so much that you're pissed you didn't spend a little more and get lifted higher
-may draw attention to the need for new shocks = more money to spend
-2.25 is the highest you can go

#23 ·
Once you start lifting a jeep there are a ton of other things that will have to be done as well so keep this in mind.
Here is a short list: Shocks,adjustable track bars (front&rear), control arms (adjustable uppers to keep driveline at proper angle), adjustable lowers (so you can keep the wheelbase the same as before lift),drop pitman arm or HD steering kit (to keep steering geometry correct), SYE or a T-case drop (SYE and Custom Driveshaft is much better but expensive), extended stainless steel brake lines, Big tires, new gears because of the tires,chromo axle shafts, C-clip eliminators etc....... the list goes on and on. So, as you can see it's quite expensive to do a PROPER suspension lift, this is for a 4" and up.

#8 ·
I got the skyjacker 2" BB and wish I would have gotten the coil lift instead. Everytime I see those red spacers behind my tires I'm reminded of my choice. Maybe if they were black I'd be happier with them. At least I finally lifted it after owning it for 10 years though.

I wonder if my wife will believe me if I tell her my coils are shot and need to be replaced?

#9 ·
the bb isnt bad.. you can fit 32s on it.. if you really just going for look and not gonna be an aggressive offroader.. you can sneak in 33s with a 1'' body lift (around 100$)

if you do the bb.. get aftermarket shocks.. RE monotubes are nice.. their whole bb kit is with the monotubes (do not get twin tubes) will be like 350

#11 ·
I went with the Zone 2" bb and am very happy. My kit included the spacers (in black), cam alignment kit, shocks (valved for the weight of the TJ), shock boots, and steering stabilizer. Also, since one of my front links was broken at the top I replaced them with JKS quick disconnects. When I am driving on the road my ride is much better than factory. When I go on the trail I can disconnect my front links and get another 3" of travel. I am very happy with my decision because this is a daily driver. Hope this helps.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! think I'm going to go with the Coil Lift, mainly because I want to put 33's on at some point. @tackelbarry- what are these front links you speak of? would this be something that I would use with a coil lift? It sounds like something that constricts the amount of travel the coils have to reduce body roll and increase stability on the road, am I in the ball park on that one?

#14 ·
The JKS links replace your factory links that attach your front sway bar to the axle. They work like the factory links while on the road. However, you can pull a pin and disconnect them when going offroad and get a lot more articulation out of your springs. Many people do use them with what ever lift is on their Jeep. Just make sure you buy the links that are designed for the lift height that you install.

#15 ·
I went with the rough country 2.5 lift. Springs and shocks for $300. I'm really happy with it. When i looked at going with the spacers i figured the shock were gonna be a loss coming off anyway so why not spend a few bucks more and get something in between a bb and a full blown lift. I also picked up a 1" body lift for $50 on craigs so for $350 i will have a 3.5 total lift.

#16 ·
One thing to remember the higher you go the greater the chances of getting drive shaft vib .It seems the dana 44's have a higher chance of doing this witch can be fixed a few differnt ways ..
I have a 2''bb on my 2000 dana 35 no vibs .Got a 98 with a dana 44 put same bb on I got vib's I just lowerd The T-case with washers to fix it . And yes I should have just wated for my 4" to come in but I wanted to put my 32's on for the snow and the kit was free.

#18 ·
One thing to remember the higher you go the greater the chances of getting drive shaft vib
Even with it being an LJ? Obviously eventually the same point would be reached...but I haven't heard anything definitive about how high LJ's can go before needing minor driveline corrections and major (CV driveshaft w/ adjustable control arms kind of major) driveline corrections. I know its higher than a SWB TJ though...

#19 ·
Even with it being an LJ? Obviously eventually the same point would be reached...but I haven't heard anything definitive about how high LJ's can go before needing minor driveline corrections and major (CV driveshaft w/ adjustable control arms kind of major) driveline corrections. I know its higher than a SWB TJ though...
LJ's max is 4" of lift w/o vibes. a tummy tuck changes all that. LJ's are also long enough wheelbase that with longer shocks & higher lift, you might not get get vibes, but your driveshaft will pull off...or worse yet, get cocked and lodged on the output shaft and cause t-case damage.

#24 ·
Thanks again for some more info! I want to 33's and from what I can tell I have to have at least 3.5" of lift to do that, and I don't think a BB can accomplish that height. So a new coil suspension lift seems to be the way to go. Also, at 3.5" on an "LJ" I shouldn't have any issues with lowering my T-case to prevent drive shaft vibrations. What all should I count on having to change with a 3.5" lift? and I know there are tons of things that help but I'm looking for essentials for budgeting purposes. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.