Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 TJ I bought new and have been perfectly happy on 31-10.50 BFG ATs for 197k miles. I drive the Jeep daily. It sometimes pulls a trailer. I use a hitch rack to haul my dirt bike. I use it as a utility vehicle around our 50 acres of woods and pasture. So far logging roads and power/gas line easements in the foot hills of west central Tennessee are the extent of my off road adventures. The hills are pretty steep and sometimes off camber.
My bump stops are worn out. The rear suspension is sagging a little. So it is time to freshen up the suspension. I would be happy with no more than two inches of lift. Since my rear springs are sagging I should replace them. Can I get by with just purchasing a full set of 2" springs and replace my bump stops? I want to retain my ride quality. I do not want to induce the wobble I have read about. I have been looking for a pull off stock Rubicon suspension but have not found one yet. I would imagine that would be ideal. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I have a 99 TJ I bought new and have been perfectly happy on 31-10.50 BFG ATs for 197k miles. I drive the Jeep daily. It sometimes pulls a trailer. I use a hitch rack to haul my dirt bike. I use it as a utility vehicle around our 50 acres of woods and pasture. So far logging roads and power/gas line easements in the foot hills of west central Tennessee are the extent of my off road adventures. The hills are pretty steep and sometimes off camber.
My bump stops are worn out. The rear suspension is sagging a little. So it is time to freshen up the suspension. I would be happy with no more than two inches of lift. Since my rear springs are sagging I should replace them. Can I get by with just purchasing a full set of 2" springs and replace my bump stops? I want to retain my ride quality. I do not want to induce the wobble I have read about. I have been looking for a pull off stock Rubicon suspension but have not found one yet. I would imagine that would be ideal. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
It sounds like a good time to freshen things up! Here is a 2" Teraflex Lift that would work for you. You'd want to add some new, longer shocks with the kit.

The kit comes with bump stop extensions. When you say your bump stops are worn out, are you referring to the soft jounce bumpers? If so they're a cheap and easy replacement while you're adding bump stop extensions.

Let me know what other questions you have or if you'd like a price on anything!

-Ryan

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
If you still have the stock shocks, they are probably due for replacement as well. I would head towards a 2" BDS kit or a 2" OME kit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a set of 05 rubicon springs I'm not using if you're interested in them. The shocks were okay when I took them off but the top nuts on the fronts were on there pretty good and I don't know how easy it will be to get the nuts on again after getting them off. I have no use for this stuff and just haven't tossed it yet.

I don't know if it will give any lift over a sport/x/sahara/se setup but it was all in good shape when I pulled it, 114k miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts