Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering investing in a winch. I don't do much off-road, but here in central Wisco we tend to get a decent amount of snow. I figured I could make a few bucks here and there towing people out of ditches. Any suggestions? Also, could I make it fit on my bumper if I took the lights off?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Harbor freight has a couple winches that's what I'm currently running and seem to work fine. As for your mounting spot you need a really strong FLAT mounting surface which might be kinda tough to find on a tubular bumper.

·
Registered
442 Posts
a winch is nice but for what you want to do why not just invest in some quality recovery straps? Going from experience with fellow jeepers who have tried using their winches to help others stuck in snow showed that our jeeps dont seem to offer enough of an anchor on their own to pull most vehicles out without being anchored to another truck or other anchoring point (tree, pole, ect). they simply get dragged towards the other vehicle. A good strap and some good knowledge of rigging and being able to determine the best angles for a pull go a long way. Only reason i suggest this is since you say you dont go offroad much so a winch might just become more of a paper weight for you.

Also keep in mind if you plan on using this winch numerous times and often then a "cheap" winch wont be reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree: Get some good recovery straps jeeps do not have enough weight to be an anchor. I have used Erickson 59801 4" x 30' 17500 max lbs. without any problems. The only reason I have a winch is to pull my self out.

If you really want a winch look into Warn, best on the market IMO. Harbor frieght winches are junk especially since you are in a cold/wet environment.

I am not sure your bumper will work, I do not see a winch plate for mounting of a winch. If it will fit, something like this will work with your bumper. Not promoting it just suggesting an idea.

Rugged Ridge Winch Mount Plates - Winch Mounting Plate - Bumper & Winch Mounting Kits - Winches & Winch Accessories - by 4 Wheel Parts

If you are set on a winch then check out Warn's basic guide to winching

http://www.warn.com/corporate/images/90/TechGuide_PN62885-A2.pdf

This is also a good article on what to look for in a winch:

What Are The Best Winches? How Truck & Jeep Winches Work - Performance Benefits & Install Tips

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You will need a new bumper for a winch to work.. That bumper looks like a tubular smittybilt and unfortunately, will offer minimal front end protection and will probably gets shoved right into the winch in an accident if you can even fabricate it to work.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm considering investing in a winch. I don't do much off-road, but here in central Wisco we tend to get a decent amount of snow. I figured I could make a few bucks here and there towing people out of ditches. Any suggestions? Also, could I make it fit on my bumper if I took the lights off?
Far be it for me to be judgmental, but you would actually charge someone stuck in the snow? or on the trail, or in the ditch, or off the highway and out in a wet cornfield? I must be real old school or something but I wouldn't even think to charge any one for helping them out. Not only that, but when you charge some one, you open yourself up to immense liability. That winch line snaps, and it damages their car, or even worse puts your " customer " in the hospital, then you are liable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just to throwing this out there as I have been casually thinking about a winch. Check your local craigslist, I've seen some great deals on some nice Warn winches that were hardly used. Saw a brand new one for sale at a massive discount as the 4x4 shop went under and they're trying to get rid of their inventory. In the long run, I think I'd rather have a nice, used warn instead of a new, "on the cheap" unit. Just give it a good check out before buying.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rubicondon53 said:
Far be it for me to be judgmental, but you would actually charge someone stuck in the snow? or on the trail, or in the ditch, or off the highway and out in a wet cornfield? I must be real old school or something but I wouldn't even think to charge any one for helping them out. Not only that, but when you charge some one, you open yourself up to immense liability. That winch line snaps, and it damages their car, or even worse puts your " customer " in the hospital, then you are liable.
I wouldn't outright charge, but most people will compensate I would think.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
True, most would offer a 20 or so, I've refused every time, what goes around comes around...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had a harbor frieght winch for 6 years now 9000 and never had a problem with it I have pulled out toyos fords and jeeps works get a little slow but decent winch if u don't have a lot of money if u have the money I like smitty water proof that's what I may get when mine goes out !!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
If anyone decides to get a strap for this type of use, make darned sure it is a snatch aka recovery strap and NOT (!!!) simply a tow strap. And not all 4x4 shops even know the difference so it's up to you to know and to select the right type of strap for the situation.

Tow straps have no give/stretch and their use in vehicle recovery situations can cause damage if you need to use a little vehicle momentum to get a vehicle unstuck. Recovery straps, aka snatch straps, have a small amount of give/stretch designed into them which not only helps prevent vehicle damage, their design actually helps with vehicle recoveries.

This 'give' built into a recovery strap is similar to the give designed into many ships tow & dock lines, especially when they are towing other ships where they must give a bit to eliminate shock which can rip the cleats off ship decks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rubicondon53 said:
True, most would offer a 20 or so, I've refused every time, what goes around comes around...
This is true, I probably wouldn't accept their money. Just tell em to keep it and save for a jeep!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Two words / Bubba Rope. these things are incredable. I pulled out a JK last year stuck in river sand for 12 hours, broken chains, straps, bumper tore up. I hook on to him 3 pulls later he's driving home. get the BIG rope. best $350 i've spent for offroad equip.

http://www.bubbarope.com/

·
Registered
200 Posts
I fully understand ALL the reasons for buying a Warn but I didn't want to put that much into a winch. I don't care how you spin it, a BMW is a better vehicle than a Honda or a Toyota or a Nissan but not everybody wants to (or can) buy a BMW.

I bought the Quadratec Q9000. It seems to compare well to Smitty XR8 and Superwinch LP8500 so I thought I would give it a try. I haven't used it yet.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
I fully understand ALL the reasons for buying a Warn but I didn't want to put that much into a winch. I don't care how you spin it, a BMW is a better vehicle than a Honda or a Toyota or a Nissan but not everybody wants to (or can) buy a BMW.
The difference is all those alternative cars you mention are quality cars that can be expected to hold up to daily use over many years. Inexpensive Chinese winches aren't up to daily use and couldn't be expected to hold up for years like those Hondas, Toyotas, & Nissans you mention will. So I wouldn't make a similar comparison between a Warn and the cheap Chinese winches that everyone and their brother is putting their name on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would not buy a winch to pull people out of the snow. Let the pros do it, very dangerous and you will set yourself up for a possible lawsuit if anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
The difference is all those alternative cars you mention are quality cars that can be expected to hold up to daily use over many years. Inexpensive Chinese winches aren't up to daily use and couldn't be expected to hold up for years like those Hondas, Toyotas, & Nissans you mention will. So I wouldn't make a similar comparison between a Warn and the cheap Chinese winches that everyone and their brother is putting their name on.
Yes. For comparison you can compare a BMW to a chinese vehicle. We have many of these around over here. They cost 50% of the price of a German/American/Japanese rival but break 10x as much and dont last half as long. Furthermore they never work nearly as well as the quality stuff. I do a lot of work with these vehicles so I am not thumb-sucking. They are cheaper because they are of poor quality and WILL break when you most need it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts