Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many others here, suffer from a badly pitted original windshield....which usually isn't an issue, unless I'm driving into the sun.

I've been considering getting a new windshield, and was wondering if anything can be done to somewhat prevent the same thing from happening to it. I do realize that that the block design of our Jeeps is the main culprit as far as windshield nicks go.

I was considering a Bug Deflector. Although I'm not crazy about how they look on a TJ, if it helps protect the glass to some degree I might consider it.

Does anyone have any experience using these in regards to actual windshield protection? All opinions are welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There is a minimum age requirement & it starts around 60.
Seriously though, it might help a little but your basically driving a brick.
This is where a no deductible windshield replace policy like I have comes in handy.

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a minimum age requirement & it starts around 60.
Seriously though, it might help a little but your basically driving a brick.
This is where a no deductible windshield replace policy like I have comes in handy.
I hear you...I have a few more years to go then!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The general consensus is that they don't do anything except create such a turbulent area that the windshield washer spray goes everywhere except on the windshield.

·
Registered
48 Posts
All I know is, I had a bug deflector on my 2002 TJ for 10+ years and had no pitting/rock chip issues at all...as of today, I am on my second windshield (after 3 repairs) on my 2013 JK and I'm ordering a deflector tonight...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have one on my TJ, I have one on my previous JK, I have one on my Tacoma. They are ugly and most definitely deflect rocks and bugs and sand. Large stones, no and of course it depends upon the trajectory but I have seen debris go up and over as a result of either hitting the deflector or the wind deflected.

I paint mine with Duplicolor rattle can bed liner product. I am all about looks but I am also all about function and protection. Again, I have seen debris deflected that would have hit my windshield, it does not stop everything but it is nonetheless effective.

People will say no to deflectors and then go paint their headlights out for that squinting look because that is cool gangsta, go figure.

J

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this myself. I have had them on other rigs and you could see the bug line on the windshield was about the top 8" of the glass. Not to mention in a snow storm you can watch the snow divert way in front of your grill. Years a go the first gen ones that were straight up and down would cost you about 3mpg. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been fighting the urge to put the bug deflector that was on my '00 on my '05 that i DD now...
My windshield on my '00 is pristine. The one on my '05 has a chip in it from what i assume was a rock that may have been deflected by a deflector. Take that for what you will.
But i do know that the deflector DID help with deflecting bugs and snow away from the windshield. I noticed when i took it off.

The main thing that is keeping me from putting it on is the rust that was on the edge of the hood when i took it off my '00. I voed to remove any useless plastic that traps grime on my '05. Not too apt to put one on...

·
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The main thing that is keeping me from putting it on is the rust that was on the edge of the hood when i took it off my '00. I voed to remove any useless plastic that traps grime on my '05. Not too apt to put one on...
Yeah....I had one on a pickup truck at one point and when I took it off it was both rusted and moldy/dirty underneath.

That's a very good point that I had forgotten about when I started this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts