Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question here. I have noticed that the almost flat windshield design catches a lot of bugs. Does a bug shield help out at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Landonk said:
Newbie question here. I have noticed that the almost flat windshield design catches a lot of bugs. Does a bug shield help out at all?
I have the weathertech. Fits perfect with no drilling. Does a good job protecting the hood from chips. I do notice less bug attacks on lower third of windshield.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the weathertech. Fits perfect with no drilling. Does a good job protecting the hood from chips. I do notice less bug attacks on lower third of windshield.
I just put a weathertech bug shield on my 12 a few weeks ago. Did you notice any change in mpg's? Seems like mine has dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not sure about the JK, but every bug shield I have seen removed had scratched and worn the paint underneith. In some places to the metal. Not worth it when you still get bugs on your windshield. Might want to switch to a stronger window washer fluid.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
chim-chim7 said:
Not sure about the JK, but every bug shield I have seen removed had scratched and worn the paint underneith. In some places to the metal. Not worth it when you still get bugs on your windshield. Might want to switch to a stronger window washer fluid.
The weathertech bug shield makes no contact with the outer part of the vehicle. It will not scratch anything and I easily reach between it and the leading edge of the hood when I wash it.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The weathertech bug shield makes no contact with the outer part of the vehicle. It will not scratch anything and I easily reach between it and the leading edge of the hood when I wash it.
^This.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Someone explain to me how a bug shield on your hood is going to stop bugs from hitting the windshield.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I to have the weathertech and I have noticed that the windshield is a little better (but that could also be due to summer is gone and the colder weather has arrived). Overall I got it to protect the nose of my hood, my windshield is still splattered. I will also say that I am not worried about it scratching because I can reach the whole way around and wash and wax the nose of my hood. No Discernible change in MPG's was noticed when I installed it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I asked this question a long time ago, sometime last spring. Nothing will stop the bugs or pebbles. Not even the hood airflow deflector. You can buy a special spray for the windshield, kinda like Rain-X, which makes it easier to remove the bugs.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My point is to see the airflow over the bug shield, if it still slams into the windshield or over it. I just use ethanol based Bio-Green washer fluid. Takes bugs right off.

·
Registered
496 Posts
For looks, they look hideous. They look just as bad as those eye lashes on the headlight.
Not true. But that's the beauty of jeep ownership. You can make them your own. I like the looks, and I'm convinced it has had an impact on the number of bugs and rocks that hit my hood on the highway. The windshield is going to get pounded no matter what, because of the flat design. I put my deflector on to protect the front edge of the hood. Hideous? I think not.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not true. But that's the beauty of jeep ownership. You can make them your own. I like the looks, and I'm convinced it has had an impact on the number of bugs and rocks that hit my hood on the highway. The windshield is going to get pounded no matter what, because of the flat design. I put my deflector on to protect the front edge of the hood. Hideous? I think not.

Deflector on the hood looks good, its those bars on the hedlights that look hideouse... :whistling: :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts