Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my TJ's windshield took a lot of bug hits, but it was nothing compared to my JK. This things eats bugs like nothing I have ever driven.

Took a road trip yesterday here in Maine ...black flies are out in force. It sounded like I was driving through sleet all day as they kamakazied into the glass.

Gave the bug washer fluid a he'll of a work out and still needed to scrap the guts off when I got back.

Never considered a bug deflector on my TJ but I am wondering if they help on a JK now that I have seen the carnage first hand.

Any one found a deflector that works on a Jk or do I need to mount a bug zapper as a hood ornament?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Personally I would stay away from any sort of bug deflector, as they're poorly named... they should be called "rocks deflected into the windshield thing".

I've had them on a couple of pick ups, and every one had a rock thrown into the windshield within weeks of putting it on....

I just make a habit of cleaning my windshield. I even keep a box of dryer sheets in the back of the Jeep to make it easier to scrape the suicidal little buggers off

Exco

·
Registered
595 Posts
And I thought it was just me! I told my husband that it seems like the windshield gets so much more dirtier. I hate a dirty windshield! My guess is that it is due to the windshield not being as slanted/aerodynamic? Sounds good anyways, ha! And I use Rain X, hmmm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use rain x windshield fluid that's supposed to help prevents bugs from sticking. However, it doesn't seem to help that much on the 90 degree JK windshield. I almost bought a bug deflector earlier this week. I read several reviews that said it actually did help. But there were also lots of reviews that said if you had a soft top to stay clear. It messed with the aerodynamics enough that it made riding around with a soft top over 45 mph unbearable (way too loud). So... Moral of the story, I'm still looking for suggestions as well.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I agree. Our JKU's windshield kills more bugs than our other vehicles combined!

·
Registered
4 Posts
This drives me insane. I am a major fan of a clean windshield and it just never happens with my Jeep. I need to buy stock in windshield washer fluid. I've thought about the bug deflector myself; after reading this thread, I'm a little skeptical of that now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use rain x windshield fluid that's supposed to help prevents bugs from sticking. However, it doesn't seem to help that much on the 90 degree JK windshield. I almost bought a bug deflector earlier this week. I read several reviews that said it actually did help. But there were also lots of reviews that said if you had a soft top to stay clear. It messed with the aerodynamics enough that it made riding around with a soft top over 45 mph unbearable (way too loud). So... Moral of the story, I'm still looking for suggestions as well.

I can't validate it one way or the other since I have never used Rain X Windshield Washer Fluid, but I have read that it can clog the system so you may watch out for that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a first-time Wrangler owner, I'm also bothered by the heavy bug accumulation. And it's not even summer yet. Seems likely that it's the nearly vertical windshield that's to blame. I've also considered the bug deflectors, but I'm skeptical that they make a difference. Never had one, but then, I never had bugs like this on any other vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bug deflectors work, hood protectors do not. There's a difference. Those made in the mainstream today are worthless.

In the '80's, Deflectashield came out with a product that worked on pickups of that era, because the windshields were more vertical and the bug shield created an air void between the leading edge of the hood and the windshield.

In the headlight glow, we used to see gypsy moths literally get swooped up over the roof line and totally miss the windshield.

At that time I had a 1993 S10 Chevy Blazer that had a Deflectashield. Worked well. After I got rid of the Blazer, I saved the shield in my barn.

Dealing with the bug thing and figuring that my JK had a similar windshield angle to older trucks, I cleaned it up with headlight restorer and installed it. Sure enough, it was just as effective as it was 25 years ago. They are certainly not for the fashion conscious mall crawlers, but for those looking for something that actually works, this is it.

The good part is that it mounts with screws under the hood and can be removed when bug season is over with no scars.

I believe that Armadillo is the only one company is left that still makes them. They are still used on Semi's and Tractor-Trailer applications.

I have a 30 year old Silverado that still has the original Deflectashield and the original windshield. Maybe it's luck, maybe not, But I never had to replace the one in by Blazer either and owned that one for 16 years.

Custom Fit Bug Shields By Armadillo LLC

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This doesn't work when you're on the highway, but I use Windex when I get home. Spray it on, let it sit for 10 minutes, and most of them just slide right off.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Rain-X cost me a new res already, luckily the dealer warrantied it out - don't know why it clogged.

I run Prestone Bug Off now, it's the green jug at Autozone. Tends to melt fresh bugs off really fast, older ones sometimes need a dryer sheet.

·
Retired Moderator
102,466 Posts
Just remember, when your windshield is getting bugged so is your radiator. Keep it washed out externally, or your engine will overheat..FYI

·
Registered
595 Posts
I washed the Jeep yesterday and scrubbed the windshield and it was still dirty. I was waxing her and the husband brought out the clay bar and I used it on the windshield, so much cleaner now.

Reactions: Maxxx

·
Registered
219 Posts
I drive 60 miles a day highway in my Jeep. Some things that I have learned is this: Find the first SUV of equal height or greater, maintain a good following distance behind them, enough where another vehicle can slip between you guys, nothing excessive. Watch as either he a) eats the bugs for you, or b) deflects the bugs away from you.

Last convoy I was in, leaders Jeep was covered in bugs, I had maybe 3 over the course of a 9 hour drive.

2: Don't **** around with windex. Get yourself some invisible glass, and watch how one quick spray and wipe eliminates that shit.

·
Registered
721 Posts
4 stone chips/cracks into my jku I took delivery of in October and I'm wishing bugs were all I had to worry about here in MI. Damn poorly maintained highways...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
580 Posts
Driving in the south west, we not only have an unlimited supply of bugs, we have three-digit temps that bake them, so a good addition to the hood is an air vent that cools the engine and doubles as a bug deflector.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bug deflectors work, hood protectors do not. There's a difference. Those made in the mainstream today are worthless.

In the '80's, Deflectashield came out with a product that worked on pickups of that era, because the windshields were more vertical and the bug shield created an air void between the leading edge of the hood and the windshield.

In the headlight glow, we used to see gypsy moths literally get swooped up over the roof line and totally miss the windshield.

At that time I had a 1993 S10 Chevy Blazer that had a Deflectashield. Worked well. After I got rid of the Blazer, I saved the shield in my barn.

Dealing with the bug thing and figuring that my JK had a similar windshield angle to older trucks, I cleaned it up with headlight restorer and installed it. Sure enough, it was just as effective as it was 25 years ago. They are certainly not for the fashion conscious mall crawlers, but for those looking for something that actually works, this is it.

The good part is that it mounts with screws under the hood and can be removed when bug season is over with no scars.

I believe that Armadillo is the only one company is left that still makes them. They are still used on Semi's and Tractor-Trailer applications.

I have a 30 year old Silverado that still has the original Deflectashield and the original windshield. Maybe it's luck, maybe not, But I never had to replace the one in by Blazer either and owned that one for 16 years.

Custom Fit Bug Shields By Armadillo LLC

I put one like that on an 84 Nissan P/U and it made a huge difference in bug and rock deflection from hitting the windshield. I can't find anything on their website for Jeep Wrangler later than 97 though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I quit using Windex a few years ago, switched to Sprayway glass cleaner. They have it at Target.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts