Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the first week I bought my JK the rear seat has been removed (going to make a small couch for my game room with it) and the plastic totes off gear I keep back there were always finding a way to slide into the rear footwells despite the bungee cargo net I have been using.

Finally got around to building a solution. A piece of scrap 3/4 plywood, scrap 2x4 and some deck screws and an hour later I had it roughed out. My tiny jigsaw struggled with the thick plywood but it turned out okay. Sanded it down and rounded all corners and then another hour with some black carpet and permatex spray adhesive and it was finished.

Installed -

I cut slots in the platform to interface with the 2 door seat mounting brackets to prevent it from sliding back and forth but since I managed such a snug fit all they really do is allow the platform to sit level on the tub. Couple of 2x4 spacers in the footwell area keep the front from rocking forward and tilting.

I can get some additional pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Super Moderator
21,994 Posts
nice, great idea.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
VERY interested in more pictures, I've been trying to find a way to do this for a while and never really got around to it. I was thinking of using the cup holders for support. Any measurements would be fantastic.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VERY interested in more pictures, I've been trying to find a way to do this for a while and never really got around to it. I was thinking of using the cup holders for support. Any measurements would be fantastic.
I had originally thought about using the cup holders as well, but since there is about an inch difference in height between the top surface of the cup holder and the deck of the tub I went this route instead.

It is literally 2 pieces of 2x4 stacked with another behind them in vertical orientation. The 2 stacked pieces are secured to the vertical board with screws from behind, then the vertical and top horizontal board are screwed to the plywood from the top. This is from the passenger side.

I made the contours with a length of copper wire bent into shape and transferred everything onto a sheet of cardboard which I used for final fitting of the overall shape. Once that was done I just traced the cardboard outline onto the plywood.

This is a badly drawn diagram of the shape with measurements of how mine ended up. The length and width were determined by the size of the scrap piece of plywood I had, as it is possible to go a little wider and longer (could go all the way to the tailgate but would need a provision to access the jack and cubby hole).

When I was determining where to cut the reliefs for the seat brackets I just laid the thing in there and made sure it was sitting where I wanted it at the front and then just smacked the top side with a mallet a few times in the area where the seat brackets are and it transferred an indention into the wood. Measured the length of the brackets and then drilled a hole on either side and cut the middle out with a jigsaw.

The whole thing ended up being so simple that I am kicking myself for putting it off for 2 years... lol

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Very nice!
I'd like to do something like this too.
I've thought about doing something like this, and to find a way to make storage in the foot wells, like two glove boxes. I thought it could be good not only to utilize storage space, but to keep things hidden too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice!
I'd like to do something like this too.
I've thought about doing something like this, and to find a way to make storage in the foot wells, like two glove boxes. I thought it could be good not only to utilize storage space, but to keep things hidden too.
That's exactly why I left the supports that sit on the footwells so short as to make a little hideaway behind each seat. I'm thinking of bolting a couple of lock boxes on the underside of each and there will still be enough room to stash less valuable stuff as well.

Hiding things like that won't stop a determined thief, but from a casual glance outside the jeep you won't be able to see any of it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice. I've been thinking of putting a piece of plywood over the seat brackets so I can slide things in and out easier, I had not considered extending it over the foot wells like that.

A piece of piano hinge can be used to make a hatch at the rear to access the jack storage.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice! I'm tempted to do the same. Thanks for sharing the details and measurements.
Thanks. I would seriously consider taking the time to measure out and make you own template though. If I had a larger piece to work with I would have made the whole thing longer at the rear and wider at the front, going all the way to the sides of the tub. Like I said, the size of my scrap plywood dictated the width as I wanted to do this with minimal cost (free except carpet as I already had everything else leftover from house projects).

Very nice. I've been thinking of putting a piece of plywood over the seat brackets so I can slide things in and out easier, I had not considered extending it over the foot wells like that.

A piece of piano hinge can be used to make a hatch at the rear to access the jack storage.
I was thinking of something similar as well. Need to look at hinges and check my scrap lumber pile and see if I have another 3/4 piece that will fit. A nice level bed for the JK would be very useful.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I know what I'm doing next weekend. That copper wire idea is genius. My plan is to do it full length and elevate it slightly so I can slip the soft top windows underneath it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Nice job! I am honestly surprised no manufacturer has jumped on this problem. I have no idea when I'd have the time to do this- but subb'ing in case miracles happen.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I will someday do the same thing. Will be doing a 1x2 frame with removable panels over the rear cubby and the foot well area upfront. The panels will have a finger hole and will be laying on top of the frame and held down with embedded magnets. I did a friends boat like that and was pretty nice. Sort of like this

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will someday do the same thing. Will be doing a 1x2 frame with removable panels over the rear cubby and the foot well area upfront. The panels will have a finger hole and will be laying on top of the frame and held down with embedded magnets. I did a friends boat like that and was pretty nice. Sort of like this

Great idea !

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for posterity. Helped an acquaintance build a similar setup for his TJ and it jogged my memory of this thread.

Hopefully this will help someone out or inspire similar projects to be posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts