Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

New here, just looking for some ideas on what to do on a TJ to make it a nice dune runner. Not necessarily the ultimate dune vehicle, at least at first, I want to start of pretty basic, as in mostly stock performance. I kind of thought I'd need a bit extra power, but I rented a Jeep at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan, and it was a very standard 2017 Wrangler 4 door. Might have been lifted a little and a little suspension work...but it was the stock 3.6L on aired down factory tires, not even A/T.

My biggest question right now is tires...I understand the idea of flotation, so the wider the better, hence aired down. Nitto makes a tire called Dune Grappler. I'm wondering if these are all that necessary at over $300 per tire, wondering how much advantage I'd see over a typical A/T like the Terra Grappler.

Although I am asking mostly about tires, I welcome any other advice pertaining to building up a TJ for the dunes.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'd go buy a Rzr, that's a proper dune machine. A raptor would be somewhat ok but it's still has limited travel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not against that idea...but cost is an issue. I can build one heck of a Jeep for half the cost of even a used Rzr. Not aesthetic AND performance, but I could pick one and go with it for a lot less money

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah no comparison between the 4.0 and 3.6 . 4.O is a GREAT engine but the 3.6 that i drove was much more powerful.
Grappler's in a 33 should do just fine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've done some duning with atv's not jeeps but i know dune tires make a big diff on atv's

pushes the sand under the tires not away so you dont just dig holes and get stuck.

with 4x4 atvs usually no one takes them out of 4x4 in the dunes because of weight or they spin down and get stuck, but i guess you could say they do ok when using 4x4.

id say some kind of paddled tires and the more horse power the better.

jeep doesn't exactly scream dune wagon too me tbh could end up in trouble in some dunes or down in a bowl

·
Registered
290 Posts
iv had my 06 rubicon on the dunes a couple times, cant say it was that fun honestly, not enough power. id much rather have a atv for the dunes, or better yet a built sandrail

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I looked at YouTube and there are lots of videos of jeeps on the dunes. There are plenty of jeeps doing it. One thing I picked up on though was that most sounded lite they had a V8 in them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I take my Jeep to the dunes a lot and the secret to driving on sand is wide tires and very low tire pressure. My tires are 13.50 X 33 and I run them at 2psi in the sand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went to Silver Lake last year and will likely go again this year. I had a fresh set of 32" BFG KO2s aired down to about 15 PSI and they did great. I made it up the test hill no problem (I have a 4.0 manual). It depends how extreme you went to get but in my opinion you don't need dedicated dune tires at least for a TJ. Then you don't have to worry about trailering it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey Guys,

New here, just looking for some ideas on what to do on a TJ to make it a nice dune runner. Not necessarily the ultimate dune vehicle, at least at first, I want to start of pretty basic, as in mostly stock performance. I kind of thought I'd need a bit extra power, but I rented a Jeep at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan, and it was a very standard 2017 Wrangler 4 door. Might have been lifted a little and a little suspension work...but it was the stock 3.6L on aired down factory tires, not even A/T.

My biggest question right now is tires...I understand the idea of flotation, so the wider the better, hence aired down. Nitto makes a tire called Dune Grappler. I'm wondering if these are all that necessary at over $300 per tire, wondering how much advantage I'd see over a typical A/T like the Terra Grappler.

Although I am asking mostly about tires, I welcome any other advice pertaining to building up a TJ for the dunes.

Thank You in Advance,

Eric
It's been a few days since the OP with just two posts, ask the question.
But I'm gonna add my thoughts just in case he comes back.

I would take the hard top off, doors off, back seat out.
In other words,,, lighten the jeep itself.

You are on sand. So light weight is the main word.

Strip it down to bare basics.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I take my 4cyl TJ out on the dunes a few times a year (I have Stroker Banshee ATV as well). I air my 33's (Duratracs) down to 10psi. I use low range for climbing hills and high range for the dune flats.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Guys,

Eric
Unless you're buying a tire for 'just' the dunes, then I wouldn't be too concerned about one time from another. Dunes/sand is all about horse power/weight. More meat in the sand is better, but you should also factor in it's a heavy Jeep and can only do so much.

Air way down and have fun with what you have.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Since everyone is suggesting airing down. Plan on buying a nice air compressor for when you are done in the dunes. Viair or ARB dual compressor come to mind. Skip Smittybuilt or the Walmart compressors. CO2 is another consideration.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We have 31x10.50 Mastercraft Courser AXT's. Mud tires dig too much. Our stock '04 is great at Silver Lake. We air down to 10psi and go everywhere!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
And with a Jeep, next year you can come to the 3rd annual Jeep Invasion at Silver Lake...and the Blessing of the Jeeps in Mesick! The 2nd annual Jeep Invasion came in just shy of 1000 Jeeps!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts