Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone to start I have a 12 JK sport 2 door 3:73 with a manual trans. I am pretty much all stock except for my wheels and tires which are 33s on 16" steelies. I have come into a good amount of money and of coarse that means modifications ;-). The first few things I want to do is 2.5" lift 35" tires and bumpers probably stubby of some sort. I'm going to use it for some mild off roading but mostly on pavement being that's its my daily driver. So question is what are my best options? I am pretty set on the 2.5 because I don't want to change to much of the geometry but what's the best one that I won't have problems with down long term. I want to do this one time and not have to keep replacing parts or adding new ones ie: track bars exhaust bracket ect... Who sells the most complete set up? I'm pretty set on tires which will be 35 KM2 and bumpers I can figure out. Money is really not an object when it comes to the 2.5 lift. So opinions? If money was no object for a 2.5 lift what set up would it be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Define "good amount of money" I can easily rattle off a 50k build with only a 2.5 inch lift. Or even 10 or 12k without getting crazy.
Seriously!? I had no idea you could get that expensive on a 2.5 inch lift! That's insane! Haha how about 5K

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not a easy question. Everybody is going to have their own ideas/performances.

There are so many manufactures to choose from.
Teraflex
RK
MC
AEV
Rancho
Synergy
OME
CURRIE
Just to name some of them

Are you looking to do a complete mid arm ?
Honestly have no idea what a complete mid arm means lol that's why I am here and asking the question what do you guys think?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something simple, I'm not looking to compete in the baja 1000 or keep up with 100k+ rigs in the rocks. Something that's going to be solid to be on a DD and something capable off road

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Anybody can throw on 2.5" coils (which usually end up being more) and shocks. Then call it a day. Which is fine but a complete lift includes
- track bars F&R
- rear track bar bracket for roll center
-8 control arms for pinion(DS)/caster angles and wheelbase. Also for less bind through the suspensions travel.
-Swaybar links
-Bumpstops
-possible front DS or exhaust extension
- shocks
Over 3"
- highsteer drag link flip kit
- front/rear driveshafts

Or you an install the coils and use CA's as needed for caster(drivability)
Track bars for axle center if you feel they are needed.

Check the Jk sticky's for tech info and lifts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suddenly feel in waaaaaay over my head. Back to researching. I thought I had a good grasp on things but I guess not. Now I see what that was kind of a dumb question. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I started with. I first used the shock extensions but soon went with different shocks.
Then added only front lower CA's for caster which helped drivability.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_2501_07.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium=compshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=CL2J_fLX67gCFck7Mgodq1cAOQ

Or :eek:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_260X_PG.htm
That long arm kit looks legit! Probably a little over kill for what I need BUT it looks to have everything to maintain the reliability of a DD

·
Registered
876 Posts
Seriously!? I had no idea you could get that expensive on a 2.5 inch lift! That's insane! Haha how about 5K
Hey Doz,

Here is my 2 cents worth. I'm running stock on my sport "12" as well except the tires and wheels. However I didn't go with the 33's because most experts said it could not be done without a lift. So, I bought the BFG MK2's 285/70R-17's and Mickey Thompson Classic's. They are only .125 shorter and 1" narrower. And the off set on the Mickey's seem to work out. I have only rubbed 6-8 times. Some on the street and most on rocks at Bridgeport.

Now to the real point: If you are using it as a DD on pavement why waste the cash on a lift and new shoes? Simply get a leveling kit, which is 4 spacers. Front two are 2.5" and back two are 2.0". Cheap as it gets IMHO!

Also I find myself leaning toward keeping the suspension regarding my garage queen as stock as possible simply because of issues down the road. I have been a maintenance/mechanic my whole life. Why throw good money after bad? After all I trust the engineers at Mopar to build it right the 1st time. I'm not knocking anyone that wants to do so, but it is not for me.

More food for thought. Take the extra cash you saved with my idea and get another means of DD. Then if you decide to go do something crazy with the Jeep and it is broke you can still get to work. When I was 25 I did stupid things with my CJ-7, but now at 51 I have two good pickup's in the drive. One is a company owned Tundra 4 door and the other one is my Ford 150 Supercrew, which is paid for by the way.

Do you see my point? I have a couple of DD's, but I'm not willing to take a perfectly good Jeep and tear it up! She just sit's in the Garage cussing me because I don't run her enough. Bought on 4/29/12 and as to date with only 2001 miles on this Bitch...

There are certain things I hate about getting older, but getting wiser is not one on them... LOL

50 Something

1 - 16 of 16 Posts