Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I deliver mail in the mtns of N.C. I currently drive a 2010 JKU Sport. I'm running 285, 70 r17. I've rebuilt 3 trannys and the top of the motor within 2 years. I am currently building an upgraded 42rle and plan to put a high performance torq converter in it. I want to change the gears also. Im up in arms over the 4:10 or the 4:56 gears. Not worried about the gas mileage or getting better than 70 mph. I have the mitsimoto 185 thermostat with the Hayden racing cooler with electric fan. I have stainless headers with MSD wires and platinum plugs. Any recommendations or advice you can give me for this trannys build or additions to the motor will be GREATLY appreciated. You should know that if the jeep were alive I'd be on death row for animal abuse lol, I'm very hard on it, 3 trannys in 2 years can attest to this. Thanks yall

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I think gears will extend the longevity of the transmissions for sure. I was in the mtns of NC a few weeks ago and my 4.88 gears were in the sweet spot with my 315s. In your case I would say 4.56 minimum and 4.88s would not be out of play.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree with @Jedi9 in that the 4.56 would be the minimum I would recommend. If you're not worried about gas mileage or going faster than 70, then I would also spring for the 4.88. Always better to have power and not need it than to need power and not have it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well guys I went with the 4.56 gears from revolution gear and axle. Thanks so much for the help. They sent a great product but I wish I had gone with the 4.88's. I do get better gas mileage on the route but she feels like she still struggles a bit on a few of the very steep hills at take off. I'm going to need to replace the tranny soon and I have been told that I can get one that's been regeared and could get to the 4.88 point that way. I was looking at ATS diesel but I was turned off by there $600 in shipping charges their and back with the 1k core charge. Any recommendations on tranny builds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts