Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I went over a rough set of railroad tracks and ended up braking one of the rear shock mounts. After a month of sulking and letting reality set in, I am going to start the process of fixing her up. As long as I've had her I've known she had quite a bit of frame rot and this was going to happen sooner or later.

I don't exactly have a huge plan for her other than to return her mostly to stock. I've already put a 2.5 in rubicon express lift on about a year and a half ago and 31 inch tires. I know there's going to be a few pieces and parts that are going to have to be replaced along the way (radiator is getting bad, heater doesn't work, to name a few).

One thing I did this week is locate a whole frame at a salvage yard not to far from where I live. I talked to them today and they are going to hold it for me til the weekend so I can check it out. I'm hoping its in as good of shape as they told me over the phone. I'm not necessarily wanting to have to try and weld in replacement frame parts as all the usual suspects on the frame are shot.

I will try and keep you all posted as this build starts to take shape. Here is also a couple pics of her.

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Go for it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made it out to check out the frame this afternoon and it was everything I wanted and more. There is not hardly a spot of rust on it (some surface rust here and there). It was in way better shape than I was expecting considering I live in the middle of Nebraska. They also had the skid plate for under the transmission and the one around the gas tank. Also had the straps for the gas tank. I also am thinking about the seat brackets. I won't be able to pick it up til later this week or early next week, but that's alright. I still have to get my garage cleaned up a little so I can get this project started. I'm not even really sure where to start on a project like this as I've never done anything like this. It's going to be a learning experience for me and hopefully my kids.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Nice looking jeep. Have fun fixing up Otis. Love the name. Here is my Otis

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Here are a few pics of the frame I picked up today. All in all, it's in really good shape.
Looks good. Thanks for keeping us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts