Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one or look into having one made? Is this even possible? Lol

I'm tired of replacing mine. Replaced mine 3 times in the year I've owned my jeep and that's with driving with cracks for long periods of time. If I replaced my windshield immediately after my windshields cracking, I'd probably be replacing my windshield once every month.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Optic Armor windshields are not street legal.

Reactions: Retired-Not-Dead

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
An uparmored windshield is like 3 inches thick. You'd need to do some pretty significant modifications to fit one.

They are also amazingly heavy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bullet-proof is quite a bit thicker and much more heavy. I've been in bullet-proof converted SUVs (mainly 4-Runners) in Colombia. The side windows could only roll down about 3 inches, then they get stuck due to the width and curvature. They drive like dogs because they are so heavy. I suppose a windshield only would have a much lesser effect, but would be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hi,

My experience is that bullet resistant glass is optimized to stop/slow high velocity fragments and crazes badly when hit. That is why most armoured vehicles which anticipate encountering rocks have secondary protection:

Sorry for the defender :blackeye pic on a Jeep thread, but it clears shows what I mean!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm not saying they all can be avoided, but I'm amazed how many people trail dump trucks, other construction vehicles, tall trucks with mud tires, etc- just waiting to knock out windshields.
sounds like common sense; but common sense is not so common.

Reactions: Wandell

·
Registered
771 Posts
Over two years and 31K miles now, not a single rock chip on my 2015 JKU. My 2016 Ram 1500 had a large rock take a chunk out of it at 1,100 miles. Go figure.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Traditional bullet resistant glass cracks easily. It was not uncommon for someone to accidently crack a layer when working around it by lightly taping the glass with the end of a wrench or ratchet. As others stated it is definitely heavy and would require a custom window frame.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I am on my 3rd windshield since last November (10 months) and I will be getting my 4th this coming February. In November, I had a large crack right across the middle of the windshield so I had it replaced. In the middle of January, a rock hit the windshield on the interstate and put a crack right in front of the drivers view. I had to have the Jeep inspected in February, so I had to get the 3rd windshield installed. Since February, I have had 3 more rocks hit my windshield so I will have it replaced again this coming February.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
We don't have state inspections, and the crack in mine is out of my eye line so I just leave it.

I will say that mine had a chip in it for over a year, bought it that way and dealer ageed to fix. I just never took it back in...oops.

Welcome to jeep life!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
We don't have state inspections, and the crack in mine is out of my eye line so I just leave it.

I will say that mine had a chip in it for over a year, bought it that way and dealer ageed to fix. I just never took it back in...oops.

Welcome to jeep life!!!! :)
Same here. No inspections, so 4.5 foot crack near the bottom just stays. Absolutely no need to replace it. I don't care about aesthetics. Mine goes off road all the time and has been pin striped since the first few days I owned it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts