Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While skimming the equipment list for my on-order JKUR I noticed it comes standard with ...

• Auto-Dimming Mirror
Oh, man, I didn't want that! I wanted a low-cost, reliable manual flipper mirror. Bummer! Now I have more wiring, more electronics and more automation for something that is very, very easy to do manually.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Push the button and turn it off. After my windows were tinted, the mirror never changed. Flip it upside down and improve your line of sight.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You would love my 2007 then. No power options at all. None of those fancy lighted cupholders you new guys get :p

In all seriousness though your Jeep is already full of electronics with the canbus system, adding a dimming mirror won't change much. In fact I added a dimming mirror to my Nissan Frontier, it's a simple 2 wire hookup.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I said the same thing about it on my Tahoe years ago. Turns out that I loved it. The Tahoe has auto dimming rear view and drivers side mirrors. They work way better than the manual version.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have the auto dimming mirror and I love it. It works great. And i hate to tell you, but the new Jeeps are full of electronics.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
While skimming the equipment list for my on-order JKUR I noticed it comes standard with ... [*]Auto-Dimming Mirror Oh, man, I didn't want that! I wanted a low-cost, reliable manual flipper mirror. Bummer! Now I have more wiring, more electronics and more automation for something that is very, very easy to do manually.
I see you bitch a lot about the Wrangler. Maybe you should get a Sienna?

FWIW - the electronics in your auto dimming mirror would be the absolute last electronics I'd worry about in your Jeep.

Enjoy the wrangler for what it is and if you don't like it, there are lots of other vehicles out there.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I just installed a Gentex auto dimming mirror in mine because I wanted that and the garage door buttons.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
These threads remind me of an old episode of Futurama where Bender crusades against any and all technology.

I would actually prefer a robot made out of reclaimed wood. :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey, if it fails you can replace it with a $1 junkyard mirror and you will have what you wanted in the first place.

:thumb:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Something else you may find interesting. You don't have to go out to the front and crank the engine by hand to start it anymore.

I don't trust this new fangled key start option. I may just rip it out!!:lmao:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If you have a '14 or better, it also "dims" the driver's outside mirror. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOladgcBd1E
That's not accurate. The driver mirror doesn't dim. The dimming element is obvious on outside mirrors and I've never seen one with it.

But to stay on topic, I've had several vehicles with the auto dim mirror and would never try to buy a new vehicle without it.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
That's not accurate. The driver mirror doesn't dim. The dimming element is obvious on outside mirrors and I've never seen one with it.
I am not sure either, but I also would find it difficult to accept that Jeep/Mopar itself posted a false description, and has allowed it to remain posted. I mean, such would create all sorts of liabilities for Jeep since we could all demand Jeep "fix" our JK's to add it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts