Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ came with a 2" lift front and rear. In front it has a bump stop bolted to the lowers wish bone. It is about 6" high and 2 gradients marked into the rubber . It looks as though it may be able to cut off about 2" at a time to allow for more suspension travel. The way it is now, the bump stop only allows for about 2" of down compression which results in hard bottoming out on even small highway bumps. I know that the stops are to prevent damage to shocks in the compressed state. So assuming I have enough safe travel, should I saw these bump stops off to avoid these frequent hard landings?

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
pics will help, are you talking about a hard rubber bit bolted to the lower spring pad inside the coil? is it rubber or plastic? is the OEM bumpstop still in place? how much shock shaft is exposed at ride height?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can see the darker rubber stop inside the coil spring. I don’t know if these are original, I suspect not as I can’t believe Jeep would sell a product with less than 2” travel. I am putting in new shocks and will soon know how much shock travel will result.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Those are aftermarket (not stock) jounce bumpers.. and are much longer than stock and appear to have little available compression, therefore reducing your available upwards articulation of the front axle. The stock jounce bumpers are a relatively "soft" material and they will fully compress under the weight of the vehicle when needed. They kind of act like a mini damper/shock before bottoming out.

Check out Crown Automotive 52087636AC Bump Stop. They are available from Quadratec for low price and function as the Jeep engineers intended.

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
Those are aftermarket (not stock) jounce bumpers.. and are much longer than stock and appear to have little available compression, therefore reducing your available upwards articulation of the front axle. The stock jounce bumpers are a relatively "soft" material and they will fully compress under the weight of the vehicle when needed. They kind of act like a mini damper/shock before bottoming out.

Check out Crown Automotive 52087636AC Bump Stop. They are available from Quadratec for low price and function as the Jeep engineers intended.
x2, and then add the necessary bumpstop extension to the lower pad with something similar to Zone's universal bumpstops.

Suspension Parts-Bump Stops-Universal | Zone Offroad Products

the bump stop length can be guestimated by measuring from the jounce bumper cup (metal nit, not rubber) to the lower spring pad. take that number and subtract the distance of shock shaft showing + .25".

if the distance between cup and pad is 8" and the exposed shaft is (5.75" +.25") would give you 2" bumpstop extension required to keep your shock from bottoming out. you should still check steering components and fender clearance but it should be close. cycling the suspension with the springs removed but shocks and tires installed is the best way to get it dialed in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Had a TJ that was rusted out that I recently replaced with a 2013 JK. The TJ was a beach jeep before and after I bought it. The bump stop mounts in the front are hollow at the top and had 6 inches of sand in them. Took a lot of work to get the rust issues fixed with that ! I want to keep the new Jeep clean but don't want to just fill the entire bump stop in with wax like I did the others if there is a good alternative? Anyone find a good solution to keep stuff out of the front bump stop mounts?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
The bumpstops out of the front of a ZJ will fit as well if you have a junkyard nearby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts