Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. Long time Jeep Owner, first time "lifter" here.
I am in the process of turning my daily driver '97 TJ Wrangler Sport into a little taller toy. Because this is my first time lifting or doing pretty much anything after market to my toy I have opted to go small with a 2.5" lift from rough country. Problem is my bump stops/Jounce bumpers. I want to address them when I remove my springs (to replace them as I am aware that will be much easier).
I am attaching photos for reference, however I have several questions that I have not found clear enough answers from other inquiries to help me with what I need....
1. Are the front AND the back referred to as jounce bumpers (with a cup) or is the rear one a bump stop?
2.I do not see a pad on the bottom (frame), is this OEM or is there something missing there as well?
3. I have not found a detail that shows how the cups/caps are attached so, How on earth do I remove the cups that remain?
3b. Do I need to buy new cups/caps or will they be necessary with the aftermarket products?
4. With it only being a 2.5" lift, I am not sure what I truly need to be looking for.. (spacers, jounce bumper, bump stop,....)
Also, I have been struggling at differentiating between ones for the front and ones for the rear when looking at replacements?
5. While it is my understanding that the size is based upon the full travel of the shock, do I need to measure the front AND the back shock or??? Also, I have attached a photo of my front shock (to be installed) is it 18" fully compressed or???
PLEASE, any and all recommendations as to what I need to use as a guide with regards to selecting for front and rear is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The rubber bumper that sits inside the metal cup, inside the springs are called jounce bumpers. They can be removed by grabbing and twisting them. The metal cup has some detents in it that line up with grooves in the rubber pieces to hold them snugly in place. Once the rubber jounce bumpers are removed, you can see the bolt that holds the metal cup to the post that comes down inside the spring. The metal cup is actually the bump stop. It contact the metal pad on the axle to limit up travel. The jounce bumper is only there to soften the impact. It will actually compress all the way inside the cup during a hard impact.

Bump stop extensions are generally done differently front vs. rear. In the front, you add a spacer to the bottom pad. This is because if you extend the top post down from the top, it will interfere with the springs at full droop.

In the rear, you typically remove the cup and add spacers between the post and cup, then use a longer bolt to reattach the cup before reinserting the jounce bumper.

To add the spacer to the bottom Pad in the front, you drill and tap a hole into the center of the pad on the axle.

The bump stop extensions for the lower pad in the front are usually larger in diameter than the ones for the rear. Most are about the size of a hockey puck. In the rear they are the same diameter as the post above the cup.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The fact that you are asking this question means you are on the right track. This is a very important part of lifting a jeep that often gets overlooked. Start by reading through this, to learn both why and how for many of your questions. This may turn into a bit of a can of worms, but it is worth sorting it all out. Skim through until you make it to Unlimited's post

http://www.wranglerforum.com/#/forumsite/20561/topics/70047?page=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! This information helps.
Any personal preference replace the OEM parts with same thing or switch to an aftermarket design?
Looking for any additional guidance.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The fact that you are asking this question means you are on the right track. This is a very important part of lifting a jeep that often gets overlooked. Start by reading through this, to learn both why and how for many of your questions. This may turn into a bit of a can of worms, but it is worth sorting it all out. Skim through until you make it to Unlimited's post

Jeep Wrangler Forum - Jeep Wrangler Owners Community
FYI - The link seems to route directly back to the main forum page for me, so you might want to double check the link.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
http://www.wranglerforum.com/#/forumsite/20561/topics/70047?page=1

Second try, but the link worked for me.

Try searching for this in Google if it doesn't work:
correct bumpstop length site:wranglerforum.com

Tons of good stuff, including some parts you should use. For bumpstop extensions, use the for the front:
http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-body-lift-blocks-2in-/3296

And these for the rear:
http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-body-lift-blocks-3in-/2396

Zone body lift pucks. Cut them to fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts