Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of the people here have used hockey pucks.

I will be putting in Rock Krawler springs for their 1.5" lift which they said will give me 2" as I have no weight. And Rancho 9000SLs.

The RK tech guy recommended 2" bump stops with extenders.

The extender thing throws me off. I was hoping to go the hockey puck route.

I am thinking the guy meant to say bump stop extender as opposed to with extenders.
I don't think there is such a thing as bump stop with an extender is there ?

And any particular brand that I should look at on these ?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
What shocks 29/30's ?

If so .. 1" will do all around. Some people will match lift height 2" front and 1" rear.
I'm installing these springs with 29/30s(hopefully Saturday). The specs I found for compressed length has the Ranchos almost 1-5/8" longer than stock, wouldn't 1" be too short? I'm going with hockey pucks in the front so I can do 1 at a time but bought the 2" rear rk bumpstop so I'm kind of stuck with that for a while.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I'm installing these springs with 29/30s(hopefully Saturday). The specs I found for compressed length has the Ranchos almost 1-5/8" longer than stock, wouldn't 1" be too short? I'm going with hockey pucks in the front so I can do 1 at a time but bought the 2" rear rk bumpstop so I'm kind of stuck with that for a while.
The numbers I have for those shocks are 1" front 1.5 rear compared to stock Rubicon shocks.
Your plan seams solid :thumb:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I've got paint drying on a set of 1 1/2" rear bumpstops I made out of square tubing. Matter of fact it was probably kjeeper showed me how to save the bucks. Was going to use 1" tubing but it would've been close and my 1" tubing looked pretty flimsy, 16 ga I think. The 1.5 is beefy and I offset them to the inside a little because that's where the bumper was hitting. I got hocky pucks in the front.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
I've got paint drying on a set of 1 1/2" rear bumpstops I made out of square tubing. Matter of fact it was probably kjeeper showed me how to save the bucks. Was going to use 1" tubing but it would've been close and my 1" tubing looked pretty flimsy, 16 ga I think. The 1.5 is beefy and I offset them to the inside a little because that's where the bumper was hitting. I got hocky pucks in the front.
Well done, I'm surprised we don't see this more often. I have a scrap yard near 1 of my customers and I can pop in and buy 1 foot of just about anything for $5.

I get 2 x 1 for the 1" and 2 x 2 for the 2" and a quick cut to length and drill 2 holes and paint. If my current lift plan goes to frankenlift, I'll get some pictures.

It's like this: http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4699-8224-2-x-1-x-120-wall-rectangular-steel-tubing.aspx

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
For those interested the bumpstop pad on the axle is 3 3/4" long front to back and there are 2 ea 3/8" holes drilled 2 1/2" apart. So all you need is two pieces of tubing 3 3/4" long. I angled mine at the back so I'm probably 2 3/4" long on top.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what shocks I have. It is a 2015 Sahara JKU with MAX TOW PACKAGE (3.73 gears).

So you guys are making bump stops out of square METAL tubing ?

So they don't need to be rubber or some material that absorbs shock then ?

RK told me specifically 2" front and back because the springs are designed to level out the Jeep.

Now if I have shop do the install will they use home made ones I wonder ?

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
I don't know what shocks I have. It is a 2015 Sahara JKU with MAX TOW PACKAGE (3.73 gears).

So you guys are making bump stops out of square METAL tubing ?

So they don't need to be rubber or some material that absorbs shock then ?

RK told me specifically 2" front and back because the springs are designed to level out the Jeep.

Now if I have shop do the install will they use home made ones I wonder ?
There is already a foam/rubber bumper on the top side. We just add height to the already metal (bottom) side of the bump stop system.

Are you using aftermarket shocks? We might be confused on what you are building...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am going with Rancho 9000XL's and the RK 1.5" springs which the RK tech said will yiield "2 inches or more" because I don't have weight.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
Yeah I am going with Rancho 9000XL's and the RK 1.5" springs which the RK tech said will yiield "2 inches or more" because I don't have weight.
Great choice, and forgive me if I missed it, which ones? The 329/330's?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great choice, and forgive me if I missed it, which ones? The 329/330's?
Shocks: RS999236 Front
RS999328 Rear

Springs: Rock Krawler JK Rear Coil Springs 1.5" - RK04187
Rock Krawler JK Rear Coil Springs 1.5" - RK04187

Tech said all RK springs are now triple rated.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
Those would be direct fit and not require any bump stop added. I remember our conversation and you were going for a solid on road drive as I recall.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so now something new. Travel. Is that opposed to solid road handling in some regard ? The newb coming out in me..

I am looking for a set up where I would have some off road capability with a good ride on the street. A good ride is most important. Just not too stiff of a suspension which is where the Ranchos come in.

Glad you guys / gals are asking me these questions.

·
Super Moderator
22,099 Posts
go with longer on the shocks Look at RK website the give you recommended shock lengths and you wont loose any road feel but will gain articulation.

·
Super Moderator
14,584 Posts
The longer shocks will increase down travel but the 2" bump stops will limit up travel. Tire size is probably important to include in that evaluation...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
33" Duratracs is what I will be getting. I have 18" rims and now that I think about it is there any benefit going to a 17" rim ? Don't want 16' or 15".

I am leaning towards Fuel Throttles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts