Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - if this is answered somewhere already, please point me in the right direction (I couldn't find it).

I'm trying to learn about my bump stops inside of my coils on my suspension. I have a 2011 JKUS with an AEV 2" spacer lift. The lift included bump stop extensions, which I installed. I know they're there so my tires don't hit my fenders. It looks like there's only a couple inches between the bump stop and bottom perch, so I'm curious how to tell if the extensions are needed or not. I have GY Duratracs in 33x12.5x15 tires. In order to get more wheel articulation, would I need to cut my fenders? Or are they there as a "just in case" and maybe not 100% necessary?

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
Bump stops limit up travel for 2 reasons, to keep the tires out of the fenders and to keep your shocks from bottoming out and being damaged. You told us about tires. 33's will typically clear with no additional bump stops and 1.5" or more of lift. How about your shocks, what do you have?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump stops limit up travel for 2 reasons, to keep the tires out of the fenders and to keep your shocks from bottoming out and being damaged. You told us about tires. 33's will typically clear with no additional bump stops and 1.5" or more of lift. How about your shocks, what do you have?
Stock shocks, with the extensions that came with my AEV lift. My tires do stick out pat the fenders, so they can't stuff inside. That might a limiting factor as well?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
Stock shocks, with the extensions that came with my AEV lift. My tires do stick out pat the fenders, so they can't stuff inside. That might a limiting factor as well?
A good rule of thumb on shock extensions is that you add bump stop equal to the length of the shock extension. 2" extensions is 2" bump stops to protect the shocks.

Now if you added a set of aftermarket shocks, you would likely be able to adjust those bump stops for more travel. For example, the Rancho RS55329 and RS55330 are roughly 1" longer than stock compressed so you could run a 1" bump stop which usually matches a 33" tire. But they are 2.5" longer extended so you increase your up and down travel for better articulation.

Every Jeep is a little different, so you should cycle the suspension without springs to see where you rub and what changes you could make to increase travel and performance. If you are running the 33's on 15's, the low back space wheels might cause more tire and fender interference, you'll only know by testing it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not to jump into this thread but maybe you guys can give me advice. I had the Rock krawler 3.5" lift mid arm put on my 2015 Rubi, I was told that the kit didn't come with bump stop extensions so they put factory on. I feel like I'm bottoming out at times . I'm running 37s. Would buying extensions help, I've only got 800 miles on it

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
Not to jump into this thread but maybe you guys can give me advice. I had the Rock krawler 3.5" lift mid arm put on my 2015 Rubi, I was told that the kit didn't come with bump stop extensions so they put factory on. I feel like I'm bottoming out at times . I'm running 37s. Would buying extensions help, I've only got 800 miles on it
3.5 and 37's will definitely need bump stops added. What shocks did you install?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For example, the Rancho RS55329 and RS55330 are roughly 1" longer than stock compressed so you could run a 1" bump stop which usually matches a 33" tire. But they are 2.5" longer extended so you increase your up and down travel for better articulation.
This makes sense. So with this approach, I would ditch the AEV bump stop extensions that came with the lift, and replace them with shorter extensions or 1" bump stop spacers mounted on the coil perch - correct?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
RK does not provide bump stops because each jeep will be set up differently. 3" front/2" rear is a good start but it ultimately comes down to shock compressed lengths. Other factors, tire size, flat/stock flares, if running high steer, etc

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
a real easy way to see if you are bottoming out your shocks is take a zip tie and put it on the shaft and see where it ends up after a little off roading. if it gets pushed all the way to the top of the shaft ie shock piston bottoming out, then need taller bumps. fox shocks come with a rubber oring already on them for that reason. If you have boots you need to remove the boots or just pull them down to see.

·
Super Moderator
22,064 Posts
I'm new to all this. If I add bumpstops will this help ? Also will they limit my flex
you wont know until you get on a ramp or something that lets you flex to the max. That rock you are on is not going to cut it as far as testing flex.

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
I can't find on their website what shocks they recommend. So basically find a ramp and go from there
It's not likely that you need more than 3" to protect your shocks. I suspect you will need to bump stop to prevent your tires from rubbing first. It's probably 3" all around, but you might be able to use 2" in back...

·
Super Moderator
14,565 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts