Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed 35's (Duratrac 315/70/17), Teraflex Performance Leveling Kit (springs), and Rancho 9000XL shocks (29/30).

Per this forum members recommended a 2" front / 1" rear bump stop setup. Someone with the exact setup stated they needed the 2" front AND rear. So, picked up some 2" front and rear bump stops, installed, but was having issues right off the bat.

The rear seemed to hit the bump stop anytime we hit a large bump at speed. So we removed those. So far seems ok, but my concern is if this setup is correct for wheeling without the bump stop.

The front doesn't seem to have "bottomed out" yet onto the bump stop, but it sure seems close. Below is a picture. Is this too close? Should I remove the bump stop?

Lastly, we installed a 2" spacers over the rear springs as the new rear bumper sagged the rear too much. That brought it up to the level we want it. Additionally, we installed Bushwacker fenders, so...we've got plenty of UP clearance now (at least for the type of wheeling we would do).

Below are pictures of the setup after the TF leveling kit, and then again after installing the 2" rear spacer + fenders.

I don't have access to a ramp, so just trying to get this as close to correct as possible.

Any help is much appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
The general consensus is to match your lift height.
2" front, 1" rear.
The main point of stops is to protect the shocks.
The 29/30's are about 1 inch longer than a stock Rubicon shock collapsed. 1" all around would be your minimum. The right way to determine stop height is two cycle the axles with coils removed.
Then measure the distance between shock mounts.

I should've removed a yellow bumper here. Just to give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
With those shocks, I think the bumps would be 1 and 1 or 1.5 and 1. The main issue would be tire rub at flex but with flats, you should be good to go.

When you fully stuff the wheel, you want your bump stop to be compressed when there is just a little shock travel left, like 1/2". If testing and the shock bottoms before the bump stop, you need to add to the bump stop pad.

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
Thanks folks.
No problem and good luck!

You can use hockey pucks for bumps too. Here's mine in the rear, although I have 2" for the longer shocks:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts