Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently replaced my shocks in my TJ. The OEM ones were dead and I replaced with a set of Rancho RS5000X. While I was under there I noticed the rear stock bump stops were dead. Dry rotted and were barely stopping upward travel if you hit them.

View attachment 4505980

I swapped out the Bumps with some polyurethane replacements. The issue is now I bottom out if hit a major bump. I didn't seem to bottom out as easily before I replaced the shocks and the stops. I likely got some more travel on the old worn out Bump stops then I do with the new ones.

I checked the travel distance before I hit the bump and its only about 2 inches. That seems way to low. Checking the springs it looks like they might have sagged overtime. Estimating the spring distance I think I am getting 11inches/7 inches instead of 12in/8in.

Even with this I would expect to have a bit more travel before the bump stop. It looks like I get 5 inches between the tires (31inch) and the fender.

Is this typical? Do you think I have about a 1 inch sag in the springs based on the photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The issue is now I bottom out if hit a major bump. I didn't seem to bottom out as easily before I replaced the shocks and the stops.
The issue is that the polyurethane bump stops are almost as hard as a rock, as compared to the OE stops.

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
Looks like the springs are sagging also, should be 8" and 12" as you mentioned.

Factory I think had about 4"travel.

Has this Jeep been lifted previously?
Front looks like it had bump stop extension on it, which shouldn't be there if you are factory height

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue is that the polyurethane bump stops are almost as hard as a rock, as compared to the OE stops.
Agreed, but I don't think should be even hitting the BS this quickly.

Looks like the springs are sagging also, should be 8" and 12" as you mentioned.

Factory I think had about 4"travel.

Has this Jeep been lifted previously?
Front looks like it had bump stop extension on it, which shouldn't be there if you are factory height

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
No idea, I bought this used. But it looks like it came with the factory springs. But both look like they have about 2inchs of travel. Which seems much lower than expected (even with 1 inch of sag). Having trouble digging up any info on the factory bump stop length to see if there is an extension.

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
the soft bit, known as a jounce bumper, was originally designed as a cushion and not as a bumpstop. it merely softens the stop as it fully compresses inside the bumpstop cup. poly jounce bumpers like you have installed do not usually allow the same compression and instead make it feel like you are bottoming out or hitting the bumpstop prematurely.

also, your springs are sagging a bit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the soft bit, known as a jounce bumper, was originally designed as a cushion and not as a bumpstop. it merely softens the stop as it fully compresses inside the bumpstop cup. poly jounce bumpers like you have installed do not usually allow the same compression and instead make it feel like you are bottoming out or hitting the bumpstop prematurely.
Understood, I might have to go back to something OEM for the bumps. But I think my point still stands about hitting the stop prematurely. It looks like I only get around ~2 of travel. Looking at suspension travel range I would expect more travel than that before requiring the bump stop. It sounds like like Shark_13 seems to think so as well.

I guess I am concerned that even if I get new springs I will won't have the travel distance dialed in properly.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Understood, I might have to go back to something OEM for the bumps. But I think my point still stands about hitting the stop prematurely. It looks like I only get around ~2 of travel.
It is important to evaluate "travel distance" in terms of the selected jounce bumper. The OE bumper highly compressible The poly bumper hardly compresses at all. Get rid of the poly bumpers and you will likely get rid of your complaint. At very least, it will be a step in the right direction. Those poly bumpers are just way too hard to "soften the blow" like the OE bumpers will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts