Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my jounce bumpers because mine have deteriorated and fallen out. I also realized that when I went from a 2" BB to 4" lift, I never adjusted the length of my bump stops. I only have a 1" spacer at the the top which probably isn't enough. I know I need to go through the steps to measure to get the correct space for my setup, but I was wondering what kind of bump stop setup other people had and how they like it.

I was thinking of either going the less expensive route and leaving the 1" spacer and adding extended jounce bumpers. The problem is I think it may catch on the spring when I flex because the springs will arc.

The other option is the Currie Enterprise bump stop kit which adds a spacer at the bottom on the axle mount and also replaces the cup and jounce bumper on top with a new spacer and slim bumper that won't contact the springs. I'm just not sure the length of their spacers under full compression.

So back to my question. What kind of bump stop setup are you running and how do you like it?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
It is best to bump stop the fronts on the lower spring perch and leave the jounce bumper cup in it's original position. I personally used hockey pucks which have held up well in some pretty serious off roading, but I did acquire an 18" length of 3" aluminum bar stock which I'm going to cut to the proper thickness and eventually replace them with.

It's pretty simple to drill and tap a hole in the bottom spring perch to bolt them in.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
For the fronts, the extended bump stops mount on the spring perch. Use (or find) the stock jounce bumper. That way you know they will not rub or touch the spring at flex. I have extended jounce bumpers with my 4" lift and they contact my springs at full droop. I have a cheap set (~$40) of rubicon express bumpstops waiting to install. I think with a 4" lift you will need around 2" bumpstop up front (been a few months since I researched mine). Every jeep is different though so you are on the right track for getting out and measuring. Set up properly, you can limit your axle to 1/8" from hitting your fenders or diff, or anything else for that matter

Waterdog beat me to it...

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm running the Metalcloaks that look just like hockey pucks on the spring perch. They came in the kit I bought but if I needed them I would just use hockey pucks like what was posted earlier. Just drill and tap the perch then bolt them on after you get your proper length.

I set mine based on the threads here, without the springs, marked my shocks at full compression then installed them. (Or find the length on line). I removed the jounce bumper and cycled my suspension all the way up waiting to hit components or bottom out the shock. Once I bottomed out the shock I measured the distance between the jounce cup and the spring perch and that was my bump stop dimension.

I did not come up with any of that on my own it was all learned from the guys on this site. Thanks to all the guys who help...you rock!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is best to bump stop the fronts on the lower spring perch and leave the jounce bumper cup in it's original position. I personally used hockey pucks which have held up well in some pretty serious off roading, but I did acquire an 18" length of 3" aluminum bar stock which I'm going to cut to the proper thickness and eventually replace them with. It's pretty simple to drill and tap a hole in the bottom spring perch to bolt them in.
That is a great idea. It will save me some money to use $2 hockey pucks. Thanks Water Dog. And thanks to everyone else that replied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts