Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, so I plan on installing some bump stop extensions when I put my 2 in BB. I searched around and found a lot of rear bump stop extensions and was wondering if the extensions are interchangeable front/rear? And I would be good with just 2 inch bump stop extensions? No unforeseen problems? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
yes, you can put the rear extensions in the front, but i wouldn't suggest it. it creates other problems with the cup, like rubbing the springs. you can also bend/damage the bumpstop/spring tower. I prefer bolting the extensions to the axle pad in front. drill and tap the axle pad for 1/2-13 UNC and bolt the bumpstop extension down. for a BB, 1" front extension should be enough (assuming 31" tires, and shocks less than 14.5" compressed length). you want to use something 3" in diameter - I use Performance Accessories "Big Block" body lift pucks....they're cheap and easy.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
yes, you can put the rear extensions in the front, but i wouldn't suggest it. it creates other problems with the cup, like rubbing the springs. you can also bend/damage the bumpstop/spring tower. I prefer bolting the extensions to the spring perch in front. drill and tap the axle pad for 1/2-13 UNC and bolt the bumpstop extension down. for a BB, 1" front extension should be enough (assuming 31" tires, and shocks less than 14.5" compressed length). you want to use something 3" in diameter - I use Performance Accessories "Big Block" body lift pucks....they're cheap and easy.
Everything I saw said that it was for the rear except one set of OME extensions which said they were front or rear. So your saying the bump stop extensions might bend the tower? How common is that? And I'd prefer not to drill it out if there is an easier way that works. Still new to this and don't completely trust myself. Is it really a bad idea to use spacers to extend the bump stops? I was thinking something like these
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_1119.htm

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Everything I saw said that it was for the rear except one set of OME extensions which said they were front or rear. So your saying the bump stop extensions might bend the tower? How common is that?
I don't have statistics on how common, but I've read a number of posts about it.

And I'd prefer not to drill it out if there is an easier way that works. Still new to this and don't completely trust myself.
gotta learn somehow.

buy a 1/2-13 UNC tap, a tap handle, some 3-in-1 oil or tap oil, and a 27/64" drill bit and follow this video...

How to tap steel | tapping steel | ultimatehandyman - YouTube

mine:

Is it really a bad idea to use spacers to extend the bump stops? I was thinking something like these
Old Man Emu FK16 - Old Man Emu Bump Stop Spacer Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec
Do what you want. I gave you my recommendation - bolt them to the axle pad.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
I don't have statistics on how common, but I've read a number of posts about it.

gotta learn somehow.

buy a 1/2-13 UNC tap, a tap handle, some 3-in-1 oil or tap oil, and a 27/64" drill bit and follow this video...

How to tap steel | tapping steel | ultimatehandyman - YouTube

mine:

Do what you want. I gave you my recommendation - bolt them to the axle pad.
I'll definitely think about your advice, and I'm sure if I go that way (and do it right) then it will work great. The only question will be if I think I'm up to it. My grandpa and uncle will be giving me a hand and they generally know what they're doing, so it might not be so hard after all.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh hey I just thought of another question. My coil spacers are set up to where they slip over the bump stops. If I relocate the front bump stop couldn't the spacer slip out? Or would it be under enough pressure to stay in place?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you buy a 2" BB kit (like the one I got from TeraFlex) it will come with the bump extensions. I'm pretty sure the front and rear are different lengths, but it's been more then a year since I installed mine so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
go crawl under your Jeep and look at the springs.

by definition, the weight of the jeep keeps the front spacers in place...regardless of where the bumpstop extensions are mounted.
Ok, just wanted to make sure they wouldn't fall out going down the high way.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
go crawl under your Jeep and look at the springs.

by definition, the weight of the jeep keeps the front spacers in place...regardless of where the bumpstop extensions are mounted.
Can you do me a favor? Could you post a picture of how your front bump stops look? I'd just like to see the finished product, and how everything works out. Thanks for all the help you've given me.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was late, i was tired, and I misread your post at first, and somehow ended up thinking I was supposed to mount the entire bump stop on the axel pad. Now I see you meant to just mount the extensions there. Well that's embarrassing..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts