Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy backed in to me while trying to parallel park in front of me. The bumper cover is "dented" and needs replaced. I got a quote from the dealer for around $475 installed and will likely just get something different altogether. The guy gave me his insurance and contact info and so far has been easy enough to work with. I gave him the quote and he said he needed through the end of the month to pay. Fair enough, I think. How long do I have to file with his insurance company should he decide not to pay at the end of the month? Trying to give the benefit of the doubt but want to be prepared anyway.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I guess you mean he is saying he'll pay instead of filing on his insurance?

I'd get some post dated checks from him up front. That way you have your money (in some form) up front. Otherwise, I'd be filing with his insurance. All you have are the words of a stranger to go on.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Did you file a police report? I think you have 90 days. Ask your insurance company what the time frame is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
finally a thread i have some credibility with... I work for State Farm. In reality you have as long as you want to do so. From experience i wouldnt let it last too long becuase your the one helping him out... So its your choice, but the longer it gets drawn out the messier it may get.

ive seen people do this and it almost seems like the other party seems to hope they forget about it or give up

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would inconvenience him and make him get a loan or something settle this with the wronged party (You by end of week). I do not play around with people when this stuff happens. I have heard to many stories gone wrong. Poster above wrote most people hope you forget, I truly believe that. that is over 3 weeks away.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Why should he take this deal with you again?

He pays $475 so his insurance won't "go up," is that it? Unless he has a terrible driving record and astronomical insurance costs, I can't imagine that any raise in his insurance rates wouldn't take YEARS for him to recoup the $475.

In other words, the deal he's offering is contrary to his own interests. I expect that's because he's not really offering you that deal.

Rather, as asphor89 observed, I think what's going to happen here is that he'll just encourage you to forget about it. He'll say he needs until the end of the month to pay (oh wait, he already did that . . .), he'll "forget" about it by then, he'll take weeks to respond to your calls come the first week of February to remind him, he'll get back to you in early March saying he sent it and assumed you got it, he'll have had some unforeseen expenses by then and needs another month, blah blah blah blah.

Here's the deal. Pick up the phone or send him an email that says you're happy to give him until January 10th to have a check on your desk. If he can't do that, that's no problem and you'll just proceed through his insurance. Thanks bunches, aharper. That's it.

I think he'll just fold at that point and begrudingly tell you to go ahead and file your claim.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think its funny how that stealership is going to charge someone almost 500 for a bumper and 5 mins of labor... oh well. the more inflated the quote the better for you i would assume

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Whenever filing a claim just keep in mind that it will be a blip on your car fax the day you decide to sell the Jeep. At that point that blip could cost you several thousand in reduced residual value. You may think that you'll never sell the Jeep but the day always comes.

My suggestion is to get all of this guy's info. Get something in writing stating everything (that it was 100% his fault, will pay by X date etc.) then I would add a clause that if he doesn't pay that the fee will increase 10% for each additional week. If he is willing to do all that chances are that he will come through and you can avoid the car fax hit, get a new aftermarket bumper and everyone is happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know it can get messy, people will drag heels, here is a bad example, he could wait a few months, & claim he has already paid, tell his insurance that he paid in cash. no he wont have receipts, you may be able to collect, but it may have to get messy.

some people are under a notion that payments will go up for minor things, & with good reasons, when I was younger a dog ran out in front of me & did around $700 in damage, & yes my insurance went up, that was liberty mutual, what a joke of a company, long story on another issue, I had a rate increase the next month of a substantial ammount, "due to a rate increase"

anyway, no witnesses, no police, your word against his, I been in & around the scene for 20 + years, a post dated check for no later than 2 weeks for them to figure out how to juggle their bills, if you decide to let him pay for personally unless they are an unfortunate soul that is paid monthly? then maybe a month post dated check, otherwise go to insurance & try to settle asap.

Randy

·
Registered
519 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Don't do it. File a claim.

A accident that minor should not affect his insurance.

Take that $500 and upgrade :thumb:
X2

Also get something notarized saying he owes you "x" dollars by "x" date. That will hold up in court. And if you go thru ins or a shop it will prob end up on carfax, lowering resale. Plenty of aftermarket bumpers for <$500.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Even better, take what he can give you, and pay diff on bumper you want

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great forum! Lots of responses for one night. :)

The "deal" is simply being a nice guy. "IF" it were to show up on his accident history for his insurance then I'm doing the guy a favor. I'd be stoked if someone let me pay out of pocket instead of going through my insurance for an amount this small.

Should he not confirm that payment is sent by around 1/20 I'll call him and tell him I'm going to file with his insurance company.

I didn't see a need to call for a police report on a bumper bender smaller than my fist. The last thing I want is anything showing up on carfax so I'm good giving the benefit of the doubt for a short while longer.

This forum rocks!! :punk:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That's why I said take what he can give you by x date. Pocket that money or buy another bumper, sounds like I wouldn't even bother fixing or getting another stock one. Also, sounds like it is not disabling the vehicle or hampering its looks one bit. Your call.

Edit: If it was paintable body work damage, I would be handling it much different.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I don't plan to put another stock bumper on. Looks like 8 bolts so I'd rather get something a little different. It's my wife's dd though, so needs to be clean without being too extreme. She's indifferent with having me change the rims to black, though. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Great forum! Lots of responses for one night. :)

The "deal" is simply being a nice guy. "IF" it were to show up on his accident history for his insurance then I'm doing the guy a favor. I'd be stoked if someone let me pay out of pocket instead of going through my insurance for an amount this small.

Should he not confirm that payment is sent by around 1/20 I'll call him and tell him I'm going to file with his insurance company.

I didn't see a need to call for a police report on a bumper bender smaller than my fist. The last thing I want is anything showing up on carfax so I'm good giving the benefit of the doubt for a short while longer.

This forum rocks!! :punk:
So many people are quick to use their insurance, especially when its not their fault, without realizing the impact on the resale of their vehicle down the road. Even a police report can trigger a blip on the car fax since the vehicle's Vin# is entered into their system when they file the report.

Bottom line, if its something small like a bumper I would try to get what I can from the guy in cash. Even if he doesn't pay you anything I still don't think its worth the car fax blip, it sucks that you would have to pay out of pocket for it but you can buy factory bumpers off craigslist for $150. Use your car insurance for large accidents that are dipping into several thousand for repairs and you have no choice to deal with it on your own. Not for something small like a bumper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts