Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Bumper/Carrier or Tera Flex carrier??

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  DallasRecon 
#1 ·
I see a lot of guys going with the Tera Flex rear tire carrier.. My question is why?? Am I missing something? Why not use that $700.+ dollars towards a rear bumper and spare tire carrier?

My new 35's will be here today, and that has me thinking about this. I know a lot off guys/gals here run a 35's on a stock carrier with out a problem.

After spending $1100. on my lift, $2300. on tires and wheels (all last week) now I am looking at bumpers with a carrier.

Pro's, con's, inform me please :)....

Smitty

#2 ·
One of the advantages of the Teraflex carrier is one step tail gate opening. Having to swing open a tire carrier and then the gate when loading is something we would like to avoid.

Different strokes for different folks.

#3 ·
I ended up bending my back gate and ruining the bushings in the gate hinges by running a 35 on my rear tire carrier. I went ahead and purchased the Teraflex hinged rear tire carrier, and everything is perfect now. Yes it is WAY exspensive, but man oh man is it stout. It pulled the door right back into spec.

The other nice thing is it all works just like the OEM, so the tire and the door are connected, you don't have to swing the tire out first and then the door. There are also a ton of attachment points on the teraflex tire carrier, for the license plate, CB mounts, racks, hilifts and whatever else you would want.

I can say i'm very happy with my setup so far..

Thanks
Mike

#5 ·
I have the TF hinge and carrier combo. I got it for a few reasons:

1. Went to new 17" wheels/ 33" DT and I wanted the security of having the hinge support the added wheel weight, preventing premature wear/warping issues of the tailgate.

2. One opening for the rear as opposed to 2 different swing out steps.

3. The carrier is adjustable and the wheel is snug up against the tailgate as far in as possible - negating bump stops.

4. The combo is solid, will work with future 35" tires (if I ever choose that).

5. I have no intention of getting a new bumper.

#6 ·
this is a toss up w/ Ace engineering bumper/carrier and teraflex for me.

One thing i like about the teraflex is that they have the jerry can/hi lift jack accessory whereas the Ace engineering does not.

I recently found out that my lift kit performs phenomenal when weighted down. So ace engineering has that advantage. again...still a toss up until i finally decide... and when my funds recuperate.

#7 ·
I havent bough the TF carrier yet but I will be because of one thing one step to open to get into the tailgate. I had 2 part on my TJ after 6 months I hated it, having to open the tirecarrier first then the tailgate. I know AEV makes one that openings with the tailgate, but then you are stuck with the bumper if you change your mind down the road. At least with TF your not married to the bumper.

#9 ·
I also thought of the weight, but then I see the Tera Flex along with a after market bumper..

Smitty

#11 ·
This set-up also keeps the spare relatively low in the field of vision. Many other options place the spare so high you can't see over it. (You can't fit anything much bigger than a 35" though). I plan to replace my bumper once I finish annihilating the stock one but don't have the $$ now. The TF was a good stop gap with great quality (I just have the hinge- not the mount). But I can see that for other folks the advantages don't warrant the price. Different strokes like Red said.

#12 ·
I have the teraflex hinge with stock carrier. I am planning on adding the teraflex hi lift accessory carrier and the vector offroad exo rack to hold some rotopaxs. http://www.vectoroffroad.com/exo-rack-p-76.html

I like the flexibility of the setup, and I can still open up to the trunk with one hand and motion.

The teraflex hinge really is a great piece. Personally I think mopar should buy the design and make it stock.

#13 ·
I bought the TF because it looked stock. I have been very happpy with it and I have a rattle free tire carrier for my 35's and possibly 37's in the future. I however back up that with a MetalCloak rear bumper because it has end caps that can be replaced so I can run their tire carrier if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.