Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just though I’d share a funny from last night.

Like most new Jeep owners, I got home from work to find that Mr. UPS has delivered yet another box with Jeep parts for me. This time, it was the Mopar bumper end caps.

After dinner and dishes, I went out to the workshop to un-milk jug my ’97 TJ. After reading a few write ups regarding what a PITA these are to remove, I was actually surprised as how easy the passenger side one came off; all 4 bolts unscrewed, no problem. A little bit of wiggling and the end slipped out of the bumper.

The driver’s side fought back a little; one of the bolts on the underside snapped off, but the other three unscrewed. A little bit of wiggling and . . . nothing, it didn’t move.

I braced for some extra leverage and some more intense persuasion . . . still nothing. The bumper end seemed loose, but it wouldn’t pull free. I break out the dead-blow hammer and have at it . . . still nothing. WTF is keeping this bumper end stuck.

Maybe the snapped off bolt on the underside is getting hung up on the bumper metal? I get out a center punch to try drive the snapped off bolt upward, certainly clearing it from any hang up . . . still, the @#$%^&* end cap will not slide out.

Frustration definitely setting in, I start eyeballing the cordless sawzall, and accepting defeat that I won’t be able to retain the stock bumper ends should I want to return the Jeep to stock form. Sawing off the end cap is not as simple as it looked because the outer edge of the license plate overhangs the spot where the bumper and bumper end meet.

I break out the big Philips head screwdriver and take off the license plate and . . . the f_cking end cap fell out. The damn license plate screw was screwed into the bumper end cap, keeping it in place!

Score: Jeep - 1, new Jeep owner – 0.

·
Registered
374 Posts
:drinks: The reason you had such a hard time is because alcohol wasnt involved. I ensure each and every time I am in the garage wrenching I have small stock of my favorite frosty brew on hand.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had to cut mine off and destroy the screws and broken holders from the inside to get the rest of the plastic out. All mine were rusted. This was before I put a aftermarket bumper on

1 - 3 of 3 Posts