Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I just found out that I will be moving up to Washington State within the next month or so, and was wondering what the general consensus is for the type of bumper (tubular, stinger etc) that is used along the trails up there and why?
Thanks for the help
:Thanx:
P.S. I have only had my JKU for about 2 weeks and haven't had a chance to mod anything on it yet.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good Question

I'm looking at bumpers too - cost is not a concern but I wont spend money needlessly. The jeep is a daily drive vehicle, 98 percent of the miles are highway. That being said, I love taking it off road and do, just not alot due to time. As it gets older it will spend much more time off road. The vision of my build configuration is to drive through the Darien Gap both coming and going. There are no roads but I understand that it is doable just extremly dangerous. The backbone of my build will be to convert by 3.8 liter 2010 stock engine to a 4BT diesel. Everything else dove tails into that. First step is to get the Pintler Beadlock wheels from AEV, according to AEV, they are designed for hard core rock crawling and can accomodate up to a 37" tire, these will work with whatever I ultimately decide on, and if I end up banging rocks so be it. I like them and think they are among the best but any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

I am also considering River Raider body armor and flat fenders (armored). River Raider seems like a good company and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. I haven't seen them mentioned on this forum.

This brings us to the front bumper which will be on a jeep that will ultimately have flats and tires that could range from stock BFG mud 32" (which I love) to 37" (which are tempting).

I have broken it down to what I think are the best front bumpers:

1) Mopar COD - basic but good, about $1,200 with skid plate

2) AEV Premium - this the one I compare all the others too, $1,500 with the skid plate

3) Rampage recovery bumper, it's about $569.99, no front skid plate, looks great, don't understand why it's so cheap, maybe it's made in China :confused:

4) Expedition One full front, $1,109 w/o skid plate

5) Spyder Rock Brawler $1,161.50 - stubby, well suited for crawling and maximum wheel articulation, also looks aggressive as hell

Other cool bumpers included Warn, LOD, OR-FAB, Shrock Works.

Bumpers I didn't like (more just the vibe or look) were ARB, Hanson

The River Raider stubby also looks ok, just like the others more (I think).

I'm not knowledgeable on sophisticated JK builds, so this is just what I got by looking at price, understanding what I expect from the vehicle, reading stuff and how much I liked the look.

Hope this is helpful, any input from the many experts on here would be greatly appreciated.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have the full River Raider skid set. The company has been great. I've contacted them both by phone & by email & they were extremely quick & helpful. :thumb: And the skid plates rock.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I also was looking at the Rampage Recovery Bumper. I like the look of it. Not sure on Gloss or Textured. Canadian price $960.44 tax included.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
This is what me the grad student I considering tight on budget but I've heard great things made in USA powder coated winch ready keeps fog lights and the price $279. I thought to good to be true but someone else here got one from this seller on eBay and said it is awesome so I wanna try it out as a Christmas present I think

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I have heard good things about those ebay bumpers. I did not know they were made in the USA?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I also was looking at the Rampage Recovery Bumper. I like the look of it. Not sure on Gloss or Textured. Canadian price $960.44 tax included.
:eek:

I hope that's for front AND rear. I bought mine off Amazon (which has the powdercoated version mislabeled as gloss, FYI...or did when I ordered mine) for $800-something. I know you guys in Canada get killed on tax and shipping, but...

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I heard they were made in the same factories as the smittybuilt and like rugged ridge just not using the brand name to keep cost down. If you look there is a warm bumper that is very very similar to it ill try to find it

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Farnham21 said:
This is what me the grad student I considering tight on budget but I've heard great things made in USA powder coated winch ready keeps fog lights and the price $279. I thought to good to be true but someone else here got one from this seller on eBay and said it is awesome so I wanna try it out as a Christmas present I think
Farn- have u ordered that bumper yet

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah the JCR is good

JcrOffroad, Inc.: Jeep Wrangler JK Bumpers

I like it better than AEV - the thing i noticed is that everybody that's offroad seems to be running a stubby. I'm not looking for rocks but I need to be able to navigate if I encounter them. Is there any reason not to have a stubby - it's lighter and cheaper - also is the JCR steel, for highway purposes i need a steel bumper (i know stock is plastic) but i'd still rather have steel than aluminum because steel is stronger. JCR full width is onlu 85 lbs. mid width is 65 lbs. Seems like a mid width would still get in the way of wheel articulation and offer less protection on the front end so it's either full or stubby - if stubby it's down to either Spyder or JCR for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What is the best winch for 2012 Rubicon MW3?
I'm considering Warn, my concern is weight on the front bumper versus payload, the Warn bumper and winch seems like it puts alot on the front (which could mean a bgger lift etc) - I have a 2010 Rubicon

Warn Power Plant, 9,500 HP Winch

Warn Power Plant, 9,500 HP Winch

1 - 20 of 69 Posts