Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a bumper for Xmas, and it's got a reciever that's not rated for towing. Could I still tow my little trailer with my four wheeler? Or do I need to sell the one I have and buy one that's rated for towing?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
What does a reciever do other than tow? I might be asking a dumb question, but I'm ignorant to the answer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can use it as a Recovery Point. Get one of those Warn receiver shackles.

Depends on the bumper. The receiver in my rear bumper is not "Rated" either, but I know it will tow a small trailer (M416) without any problem. I did verbally asked the Manufacturer before ordering it and they unofficially said the M416 would be no problem. I'm sure mine would tow way more than that, but it is made like a tank. Use good Grade 8 hardware to mount it.

I think the manufacturers just say "not rated" to cover their A**. If it is strong enough to be a recovery point, it should tow just about anything that your Jeep can handle.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Agreed, it is only rated as a recovery point, because if they wanted to have it rated for towing, they would have to comply with DOT rating and testing procedures before they could sell it as a tow bumper. But, it should be fine for what you want to tow with it.

·
Administrator
12,604 Posts
I would say if you can tie it into the frame some how other than the crossmember along the back.. I have brackets that tie mine in on the side of the frame as well..

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
I think the most I've seen a bumper rated for towing was like 750 total wieght and something like 200 for tounge wieght.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I thought it could handle it, just wanted another opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts