Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this ad on craigslist:

Jeep Wrangler JK Front Steel Bumper

The seller claims that the center section is wide enough for a winch, but has never been drilled for one. Since this is just down the street, and i like how it looks, although it does look crooked in the second picture I'm thinking about getting it. I've never dealt with a winch before, so I don't know what it's mounting requirements are. Do you think this bumper will hold up?

Thanks
Terry

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not sure who makes that one but it is alot like the Rugged Ridge XHD non-winch mount with the Pre-runner bars added to it. The Pre-runner bars are around 359.00 by themself. The center non-winch base goes for 369.00. The XHD also comes with a winch mount version for the same price. Not sure about being able to drill for winch mount, does not sound like a good idea due to no bracing to support stress from winching. It is a good buy if you dont need a winch though.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It says it is custom made but it really isn't winch ready at all. When he says drill holes that is putting the winch on top of the bumper. Most people like it hidden away for the most part with the fairlead coming out the front. This one isn't made for a winch but of course you can put one on it. You can put one on top of a stock bumper with the right winch plate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Guess I'll stick with the stock bumper and install a winch plate that works with it. I don't want to spend $375 and end up tearing it off the first time I use the winch. BTW, can I wire a winch through an aux fuse box, or does it have to be wired directly to the battery?

Thanks for the input,
Terry

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
It is actually wired direct. The winch should give instruction if not someone should help once you get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts