Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a bumper/ tire carrier combo to put on my 06. I have 33"s that are tweaking my tailgate and want a tire carrier that is very inexpensive but still good quality. No rattling, etc. also something that doesn't need much drilling is best. Thanks

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm looking for a bumper/ tire carrier combo to put on my 06. I have 33"s that are tweaking my tailgate and want a tire carrier that is very inexpensive but still good quality. No rattling, etc. also something that doesn't need much drilling is best. Thanks
Dont we all.. honestly, I just paid a bunch to get exactly what I wanted but in the end I wont regret it..save a few more bucks and do the same. you wont regret it..

Dana

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have 33s, too. I bought a Bestop HighRock 4x4 Narrow Front Bumper and Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.

Overall, I like it. The front bumper is nice and beefy. I added the grill guard, too. It took some work getting the thing on, but it looks great and was well worth the effort.

The rear tire carrier does a tiny bit of rattling. The heim joint doesn't add any weight to the door: it just helps keep the tire carrier in place. Both bumpers have D-ring mounts.

Neither of the bumpers required any kind of drilling on my '04. All of the mounting hardware included in the set fit with existing components. Given that you have an '06, I think you'll be pretty much the same.

My only gripe is that Bestop doesn't have proper packaging for either bumper. The front bumper alone is about 55 pounds. It came in a cardboard box and the ends were packed with molded Styrofoam.

Someone (either Bestop or UPS) manhandled the first front bumper I ordered. I ended up having to return it because one of the "wings" on the side where you mount the grill guard had a 5" crack through it.

The second front bumper and rear bumper barely arrived in better condition: the ends and edges still punched through the Styrofoam and cardboard like they weren't even there. The finish was chipped off on a lot of the end edges. I could tell the boxes had been taped multiple times during transit.

I fired off an email to Bestop describing the issue. They seemed pretty receptive and forwarded my email on to their shipping department.

I really like the bumpers and I think they look great, but they've gotta find a better way to ship these beasts.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well what do you recommend
I just got mine and its being installed now. I wanted something with everything on it.. here is a link to the bumper,I can post pics of mine a bit later if you like. But it holds two Rotopax, a hi lift jack, has additional lighting, a 2" hitch receiver, the tire carrier is adjustable, the swing away has a pin so that the tire carrier is held in place once swung out (important if you are not on level ground) and most importantly, the spindle is Huge and beefy. It was delivered and in great shape. It comes bare metal so you can finish it any way you want, paint, plastidip, whatever. I had mine powdercoated in flat black.

Dana

JcrOffroad, Inc. Wrangler Rear Deluxe Tire Carrier Bumper (CJ YJ TJ)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
And given DBoat's response, I think you're going to have a really hard time finding anything that's both "inexpensive" and "good quality." My rear bumper and tire carrier was about the same price as his.

I certainly wouldn't want to be on the highway behind a Jeep that has an "inexpensive" tire carrier with a 33" hanging off of it.

You get what you pay for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts