Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dug around and watched all the videos I can find on this subject, but I have question for someone that's done and used this mod.
What do you do about venting the bumper?

I was planning on using this garboard drain plug for the fill as well as the pick up line:
Robot Check

If it's air tight, at best the pump will cease to draw after it pulls out a little water, at worse I'm afraid I'll collapse the plastic bumper at some spot.

Have you that have actually done this mod drilled a little vent hole at the top?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've dug around and watched all the videos I can find on this subject, but I have question for someone that's done and used this mod.
What do you do about venting the bumper?

I was planning on using this garboard drain plug for the fill as well as the pick up line:
Robot Check

If it's air tight, at best the pump will cease to draw after it pulls out a little water, at worse I'm afraid I'll collapse the plastic bumper at some spot.

Have you that have actually done this mod drilled a little vent hole at the top?
Umm.. I stopped working on that mod but am picking it back up soon. I've got the pump installed and lines run.

Are you saying you are going to create a vacuum while pumping the water out of the bumper?

If that is the concern then what you linked will work to avoid. Or just drill a tiny hole on top somewhere.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying you are going to create a vacuum while pumping the water out of the bumper?
Yeah. If the water goes out and it's an air tight pick up as well as an air tight fill, then something's got to give. Having worked on boats for 20 yr I've seen some tanks collapse when the vents got clogged.
I'm thinking that may be the best bet is to just drill a small hole in the top of the bumper. That way I can fill till it runs out the vent and I'll know the vent is clear and not clogged up.
I plan on taking the bumper off anyway to put the pick up and fill lines on. I want to hide the pick up around behind the fender as seen in this video:
http://bit.ly/1NQU4hS

I was just wondering if anyone else that's done this mod has and has run into this or any other issues.
Any other tips or tricks for this?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah. If the water goes out and it's an air tight pick up as well as an air tight fill, then something's got to give. Having worked on boats for 20 yr I've seen some tanks collapse when the vents got clogged.
I'm thinking that may be the best bet is to just drill a small hole in the top of the bumper. That way I can fill till it runs out the vent and I'll know the vent is clear and not clogged up.
I plan on taking the bumper off anyway to put the pick up and fill lines on. I want to hide the pick up around behind the fender as seen in this video:
http://bit.ly/1NQU4hS

I was just wondering if anyone else that's done this mod has and has run into this or any other issues.
Any other tips or tricks for this?
I don't think you'll have this problem.

If you have the bumper insert.. Some screws hold it in, I actually used silicone to seal the screws.. I haven't looked at it in awhile but my pickup may not be air tight.

I'm use a top filler fuel cap for the full station on top.. Have .5 inch drain plugs on the bottom (rubber stoppers)

I'll get some pics for you tomorrow of my whole setup. Need to finish that project whoops. So many new parts coming in :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts