Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know the stock bumper is as about as good as a plastic knife in a shoot out. I bent mine by my recovery hook. Now where i live there is a lynch truck center, I wet to them to see if I could get a few pieces of scrap metal from their dumpster. Great the let me then I see this really huge section of frame that has been plasma cut from the back of a truck, turns out I can have it. The metal is 7/32 (best measurement) cold rolled frame steel that they use fro the frames of semi and the big 5500 chevy rollbacks. Sweet now i can make a real bumper. Yesterday I started the journey into this bumper. We tried a cut off wheel made for cutting railroad track, it chewed that up and spit it out like nobody's business, so we pulled out the torch took us 45 min to cut 20 inches, finially settled on taking turns with a sawzall and a diamond metal blade. Boy was that a fun ride. All said and done we got it cut and are welding it later today.
Now comes the winch box, this is going as expected until we have to make a 90 degree bend. I channel it out 1/2 way, attempt yo bend it, yeah right! I channel it 3/4 of the way still no dice, channel a little more and finially get it. So the next time we channel and try heat, this doesnt work at all. We channel bend and weld again.
What I would like to know is: does this seem common? Has anyone ever expierenced this? Does anyone know what type of steel woluld do this? I plan on going back and asking them but would like to share my trials with all of you. Oh of course there will be pictures when finished.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
sometimes you just have to cut it,angle it ,weld it back together and then grind the corners smooth..sounds like you may have to do some work on your front springs with all the added weight

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah its a bit heavy but as far as I can tell it doesn't change the ride height as of yet. Today before work, was a grinding marathon!! I did get the winch box fabbed up and ready to get the final prep before its ready to use. The only down side is I am debating on rebuilding the winch prior to mounting or if I want to wait. Its still fine but do I want to do it now or save it for later.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I heard today that the metal from a frame cannot be welded to because of penetration. Apparently cold rolled steel is like that, does anyone know of this? Also I think I am just going to rebuild it from the one I had made since it expanded on one end and contracted on the other. Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah but I get the joy of saying I did that and I got a template now so I could feasibly make another one for someone. So let me get this straight clean prep and weld just like any metal? Do I need to turn voltage up or anything? Any tips?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yeah but I get the joy of saying I did that and I got a template now so I could feasibly make another one for someone. So let me get this straight clean prep and weld just like any metal? Do I need to turn voltage up or anything? Any tips?
I use a stick welder on DC and burn 7018 rods.. thats not a necessity but it will be strong...the first 2 digits in a welding rods number tells you the tensile strength ..in this case 70,000 pounds per square inch...if its 1/4 inch I would have it set somewhere in the range of 120-130 amps..if its thicker I might go up a little but not much..if you are a welder then you can tell as soon as you start if your amps are right or not..adjust them accordingly

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I am going start over and weld with your suggestions. Would a wire feed work I have access to that any time.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think I am going start over and weld with your suggestions. Would a wire feed work I have access to that any time.
if it is a big mig it will but if it is something like a little millermatic 140 it won't get hot enough..they are great for sheet metal or anything up to about 1/8 inch thick..stick is the ticket for thick stuff..you could tack it up with a little mig if thats all you have and then weld it with a bigger machine

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill just have to wait and use the stick then, it's at a buddie's so i have to wait until our work schedules coincide.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
it will be worth the wait..I just finished a grill guard for my wife a couple weeks ago..we just chopped off a stock bumper and then I built her a guard using pieces that I had cut off of a harley frame when I was widening it for a fat rear tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts