Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my spare lives on ratchet straps in my cargo area. Time to make up my mind on some real bumpers and tire carrier lol. Since I only have a 2 door, a 37 inch tire basically occupies my entire rear floor (removed my back seat).

Any feedback on Poison Spyders new body mount tire carrier? This one:

JK Body Mounted Tire Carrier | Jeep JK Wrangler Rear Bumpers & Stingers| Poison Spyder Customs

It appears they are at least doing a little reinforcing on that driver side, which most body mount carriers do not. I also dont like body mount that requires use of goofy skins or corners.

I have a 2 dr 2014 JKR with 37s and crawl rocks. I want to stick with low center of gravity if at all possible. I have a 2.5 inch lift and chopped fenders. I clear everything now with a little room to spare. I am just worried if I start bolting on heavy big clunky steel bumpers that I may lose too much clearance. My initial thoughts were go with aluminum bumpers - drastically reduces the weight issue. I kind of dig Rock Hards stubbies in aluminum. Which means a body mount carrier.

I also like the added clearance of things like Savvys LHT and Poison Spyders BFH bumpers. I ruled out Savvy because I dont feel like huge weld work replacing the whole rear frame rail to raise it. PS just trims the factory rail. Small, thin, high clearance and less bulk, less weight. They can accommodate winches, but not tire carriers. So again that also means a body mount carrier.

Body mounting the carrier makes me nervous about ripping off the back end of my rig lol.

Or just say screw it, go with my secondary choices in steel and throw in a small puck to get back any height if needed? Probably Rock Hard stubbies, maybe LOD. If I need to blow the weight and dollar budget, I also like Shrockworks stubbies and tire carrier.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have my eye on that Poison Spyder tire carrier, but it's a lot of money considering that I also need to replace my stock rear bumper, which is way too wide. Like you I'm unsure about getting a typical heavy rear bumper. Even the stubby rear bumpers seem heavy and expensive. One thing I don't understand (and keep in mind I'm a total noob) is what purpose a rear bumper really serves -- if rear-ended, wouldn't the spare tire be impacted, rather than the rear bumper? If I could find a cheap stubby rear bumper, the money saved could be spent on that PS tire carrier.

·
Supporting Vendor
276 Posts
We do make our bumpers out of steel for many reasons vs aluminum, but all of our rear bumpers are made out of our signature Armor Lite Steel thats 2x as strong as mild steel, both in tinsel strength and yield strength. Using the Armor lite steel has allowed us to drop 21% of the weight without losing any strength and having still having the protection of a rigid steel bumper.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmmm LOD. Will check it out. Also had your sliders on my short list.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Two things right off the bat that I do not like about it.
One is that I assume you'll be drilling a minimum of two holes in your tub in order to mount the brackets, which is fine until you decide it's time to sell it or change your mind on the carrier. Also as you mentioned you can get it caught on something and rip your body all to shreds.

Secondly I don't like the fact that it is a two step process to access the rear of the jeep.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm very happy with my Shrockworks bumper. I love the sunken winch & the quality is great, especially in comparison to my Ace rear. The welds & the powdercoat are so much better. (Not to completely diss Ace, I absolutely love the design of their tire carrier & wouldn't trade it for anything I've seen yet)

I didn't think the Shrock front was all that heavy (especially in comparison to what I have on the back!), but I didn't really care, weight isn't a killer for me.

They told me a 3-4 month wait, I went into it knowing everyone says their times are a lie, but I had my bumper exactly 3 months after ordering. They had awesome customer service, they got back to me the same day every time I emailed them & they even threw in a set of D rings. :D I can't comment on their rear or tire carrier, obviously...

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sexy Sueby!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a Shrock Works front also. Fits perfect, good finish, looks good. Not heavy at all, think like 80 pounds with the skid plate. No winch yet, no waiting for it to come in. Found it slightly used on CL for $400, couldn't pass it up. On the back I think I am going poison spyder BFH and Gen Right aluminum carrier when funds allow, although the new poison spyder seems like a good choice also.

·
Registered
868 Posts
We do make our bumpers out of steel for many reasons vs aluminum, but all of our rear bumpers are made out of our signature Armor Lite Steel thats 2x as strong as mild steel, both in tinsel strength and yield strength. Using the Armor lite steel has allowed us to drop 21% of the weight without losing any strength and having still having the protection of a rigid steel bumper.

What is the actual weight of your Gen 4 full width bumper w/tire carrier? All I see is 21% lighter but no actual weight.

Edit, assuming that the numbers on the "weight" are correct it's about 120 lbs?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
you should check out crawler conceptz and their aluminum tire carrier that attaches to the tailgate so you have just the stock handle to open and close your rear tailgate.

i have the metalcloak rear bumper/tire carrier and love it for all the reasons i bought it for: very low center of gravity (35" tire blocks same rear view as stock tire because of the mount point of the carrier), sucked up tight to the tire carrier, the spare rests on a plate not bolts, and gives a great departure angle. the one thing i don't like is having to open 2 things to get inside the back.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Bump on this one... I'm interested in the Crawler Concepts swing out tire carrier. Anyone currently running this and is willing to share their experience with it?

·
Registered
2020 JT Mojave Sting Gray
269 Posts
I too would like to hear some experience with the Crawler Conceptz body mounted carrier. Specifically, how do the stock hinges (the gate side) look with it installed? Are they visible and do they look unfinished since they aren't covered?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts