Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am about to pull the trigger on a bumper and winch--
weight is a bit of an issue due to mpg since i travel so much, 3 hour drive one way to get to the good white water not including annual trips to smoky and rocky mtns. and looking to drive to california next year to play in some of that water too..
i have my eye on the poison spider brawler lite bumper but a little concerned since i could really use a full width for the added protection
like the warn elite or fab fours

my uses consist of river acceses - some colorado trails - expedition type travel - backcountry gravel/rock/mud 1 lane roads and nighttime travel

Suggestions?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can't beat the PSC Brawler Lite for a mid width, solid steel, but lightweight bumper. I just installed mine. It's beautiful, slaps right on, and is winch ready. Only 2 downsides for the PSC BL is cost and that it comes bare steel. Full width and light weight don't really go together (except the stock bumper). You have to chose between weight and full width protection. I like the look of mid width and stubby myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats my delima -- sacrifice weight for protection?
my last trip was about 400 miles just for a day trip and saw about 40 deer on that trip
love the look of the psc

·
Registered
187 Posts
Picture took fuzzy for some reason but close enough. It protects most of the front end. If you are worried about deer get the brawler bar too. If the deer misses your bumper he hits your wheel (goodbye deer) or your fender (you wanted flat fenders anyway). Like the Dozer; almost as good as Crush.

PSCbumper2.jpg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how did you do the spider in orange?
im not liking the plastic fenders anyway - but the deer to tire could get uuuggglllyyy!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
FYI if you get the ps bumper from northridge 4 x 4 you can order it powder coated. Just give them a call.
Northridge 4x4 is awesome and currently my go to vendor because they have good prices and free shipping. But the powder coating was too expensive for me. Some good black etching primer and metal paint was almost $100 less. It's kinda like painting wheels. Sure you can spend $100/wheel for powder coating or you can spend a few hours and do it yourself.

how did you do the spider in orange?
Just picked up a 1 foot square thin piece of metal (Home Depot, $5), cut a strip with tin snips, primed and painted orange, drilled a couple small holes in the bracing walls on each side and used some small bolts to attach the painted strip behind the spyder cutout.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The weight variances on the different bumpers i looked at we're not that great. I pulled the trigger on the Warn Elite and am happy. The winch is where the real added weight comes in. Bumper only was just 100lbs. Add a winch and you almost double the weight. Not sure what the original bumper weighed but guess about 50lbs. So...if you add 180lbs and subtract 50 your net weight gain is 130lbs. Might be off some but I'll bet I'm close. Think about whether you really need that winch and the weight and cost. Good luck.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
You say *expedition type travel*. If you are very far off road and away from help... and hit something that goes through your radiator, you could be done. Travel at night and that chance increases exponentially and I think you are aware of that due to your comments. Many overlanders use full bumpers (across the tires and a bar to protect the radiator) for the reason you mentioned also. True protection on your front end is not a great place to save much weight. Save yourself about 20 pounds and use synthetic line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
carolyn - what bumpers are you running ?
any complaints?

really love the PSC stuff but use & function keeps taking their products off my list

1 - 11 of 11 Posts