Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are EAG bumpers, smittybuilt bumpers or hooks bumpers any good? Looking to replace my stock bumpers with a rear bumper that has a tire carrier for 33’s and a good hitch built into it. I am looking for a winch compatible front bumper with driving lifts. Any suggestions or pics more than welcome. Thank you

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just bought what I believe to be a Rugged Ridge from a kid that mistakenly got it second-hand with the thought it would fit his XJ. It did not, so he was looking to ditch it. I am not sure of the differences, but this sure looks like a clone to the Smittybilts.

It has a Class III hitch with the eyelets to hook on tow safety chains, so it is not just one of those made only for accessory cargo baskets. It is a real tow hitch receiver.

Are there better bumpers? Sure! I really wish I could have gotten a LOD bumper/carrier, but my budget priorities required something less expensive. It just had to be functional and carry a full-size spare.

I don't have the tire on there yet, but there are no rattles whatsoever from the carrier. Easy, one-handed operation.

I still have the PO's body lift, so I did not have to drop the fuel tank.

For less than $300, works for me!
Good enough for now and probably the last bumper that will ever go on this TJ anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you want quality or functional? I've heard too many stories of the hinge falling apart on those cheap Chinese made bumpers you listed (among other issues).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you want quality or functional? I've heard too many stories of the hinge falling apart on those cheap Chinese made bumpers you listed (among other issues).
I would like to have a good quality bumper that meets the basics of pulling trailers, some mountain climbing 2-3x/year. Nothing extreme but just camping/pulling motorcycles, and gear about 3 hours one way. Appreciate the response. Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought what I believe to be a Rugged Ridge from a kid that mistakenly got it second-hand with the thought it would fit his XJ. It did not, so he was looking to ditch it. I am not sure of the differences, but this sure looks like a clone to the Smittybilts.

It has a Class III hitch with the eyelets to hook on tow safety chains, so it is not just one of those made only for accessory cargo baskets. It is a real tow hitch receiver.

Are there better bumpers? Sure! I really wish I could have gotten a LOD bumper/carrier, but my budget priorities required something less expensive. It just had to be functional and carry a full-size spare.

I don't have the tire on there yet, but there are no rattles whatsoever from the carrier. Easy, one-handed operation.

Good enough for now and probably the last bumper that will ever go on this TJ anyway.

View attachment 4464848

View attachment 4464848
Like the jeep, rack and bumper. Just needs that rooftop tent on it. Appreciate the post and pics. I definitely like the class 3 hitch and the price you got on the bumper. Unfortunately my luck doesn’t usually run that good. I do have a 4in lift on my jeep and like that maybe I won’t have to drop the tank to put a bumper on it. Also looked at the LOD bumpers. Seems to be a really good solid built bumper. Although they are proud of them. Definitely in ballpark of what I am looking for. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,668 Posts
have you seen dirtworx bumpers?

They are beefy, get great reviews, very reasonably priced, and made in the USA. $400 for a bumper and swing away tire carrier and $450 for to add a jerry can mount.

I have a swag offroad bumper and appreciate the additional departure angle and use it with a gr8tops exogate tub mounted tire carrier and couldnt be happier, but its double the price. the swag bumper wraps around the rear cross member instead of mounting to it which pulls the bumper a few inches closer to the frame and the exogate beefs up the factory setup so theres no additional latches to pull, just open the rear gate as normal.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

They are beefy, get great reviews, very reasonably priced, and made in the USA. $400 for a bumper and swing away tire carrier and $450 for to add a jerry can mount.

I have a swag offroad bumper and appreciate the additional departure angle and use it with a gr8tops exogate tub mounted tire carrier and couldnt be happier, but its double the price. the swag bumper wraps around the rear cross member instead of mounting to it which pulls the bumper a few inches closer to the frame and the exogate beefs up the factory setup so theres no additional latches to pull, just open the rear gate as normal.
While I am all set on the back for now, I am eyeballing their front winch bumper with receiver for springtime!
Looks like a nice one. For $358?! I will be bookmarking that one! Thanks!

Reactions: Ironhead Jed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have not seen them. Will check them out. I like made in the USA. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a bumper from rough county. It was a little pricy but is extremely solid and came with lights and a skid plate. Easy install with a floor Jack.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Dirtworx rear and stubby oem front

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are EAG bumpers, smittybuilt bumpers or hooks bumpers any good? Looking to replace my stock bumpers with a rear bumper that has a tire carrier for 33’s and a good hitch built into it. I am looking for a winch compatible front bumper with driving lifts. Any suggestions or pics more than welcome. Thank you
Check out Ace Engineering out of Michigan. Built in the USA, lifetime guarantee and rock solid. I installed one of their rear bumpers with the tire carrier a few years back. I wanted a carrier that opened with the tailgate. I hate having to open them separately! Within a month I slid backwards down an ice covered hill and took out a tree. Not one bit of damage to anything. Brushed the bark of an was on my way. They aren’t the cheapest but in my book their quality is worth the price.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We went with the Smittybilt XRC for both the front and rear bumpers on our '04 TJ running 33's. They are very stout and well made. The tire carrier is secure and doesn't make any noise. While off-roading one time, we dropped off a rock onto the back bumper and there was no damage done. The front shackle mounts are welded inside and out so they can be used to flat tow. All-in-all, a well made bumper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts