Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just got some jkur springs Nd shocks in my 2dr sport and ended up with a nice 2" lift as a result. However now I have alot of bumpsteer (sometimes down right scary) and my rear pinion angle looks horrible (And I'm pretty sure it's causing a strange chirping/ticking noise when I gear down) any recommendation to fix both of these issues with costing a whole lots? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As stated before. A new front adjustable trackbar and a rear track bar bracket will help recenter your jeep. Also may concider control arm brackets to adjust the pinion angle in the front. Let us know if we can help out at all.

-JP
I have a rear track bar bracket and a RE front bracket, maybe just have to move which hole the track bar is in. I will need control arms or brackets most definitely for the rear as my pinion angle is terrible. Being as your in the states though I would rather by locally, save me a ton on shipping

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
Did you loosen all the CA bolts and tighten at ride height?

What exactly are you feeling ? Bump steer is not typical at low lift heights and you CAN NOT run a track bar bracket without a DL flip and 3" bump stop. A track bar alone wont help much either. You prob have a caster issue, get some adjustable lower arms and dial in 4-5° caster. Pinion angle should not be a issue either considering it gets better with lift height. Adding caster will increase pinion but not enough to be a concern.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What exactly are you feeling ? Bump steer is not typical at low lift heights and you CAN NOT run a track bar bracket without a DL flip and 3" bump stop. A track bar alone wont help much either. You prob have a caster issue, get some adjustable lower arms and dial in 4-5° caster. Pinion angle should not be a issue either considering it gets better with lift height. Adding caster will increase pinion but not enough to be a concern.

I only loosened the bolts on the axle end of the control arms, since I was swapping housing anyways, and did not tighten/torque until I put the jeep back on the ground. Should I loosen bolts front and back then re torque? As for pinion angle, how would that get better with lift height? The axle remains stationary(no pivot with non adjustable arms) i may get some control arm brackets so I can correct both pinion and caster

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
The pinion raises up as the axle flexes because of the stock CA geometry. Same when lift height is added. Caster decreases with lift, pinion lifts up or increases. When people add longer lower arms it rotates the pinion back down increasing caster but worsening pinion angle. Shorter uppers will do the same. Overall its a balance between caster (tight steering) and pinion angle (driveline vibes)

Yes i would loosen all CA's, give the jeep a good shake and tighten on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

And in regards to pinion angle, I'm referring to my rear pinion, it sits at 90 deg to the ground while my drive shaft looks to be about 65-70, maybe alittle less.

·
Super Moderator
53,763 Posts
And in regards to pinion angle, I'm referring to my rear pinion, it sits at 90 deg to the ground while my drive shaft looks to be about 65-70, maybe alittle less.

When talking rear pinion its the relation of the pinion to driveshaft angle. Ideally you want -3 to 0 or inline. 4 doors require less and if running a double carden closer to 0 is ideal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

When talking rear pinion its the relation of the pinion to driveshaft angle. Ideally you want -3 to 0 or inline. 4 doors require less and if running a double carden closer to 0 is ideal.

Best the best least expensive fix it adjustable upper control arms?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts