Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so i disconnected for the first time today and flexed on a rock to see what happens lol wow truly unbelievable how much flex you can get out if these things and i only have a 2" BB and 0-2" shocks! Lol anyways i am concerned about the bumpstops though bc the tire that was stuffed was really pushing the the shock. It looks like the bumpstop and shock bottomed at the same time. Should i add like a 1/2" - 1" of extra bumpstop? Here is a pic of flex and tire well

View attachment 284158

View attachment 284159

View attachment 284160

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump (no pun intended lol)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Nobody? :/

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Needs a pic of how compressed the shock is along in that pic how the bump stop is just like the second pic but showing the shock piston compressed in "how far"

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry I'm new to Jeeps again and don't know the answer.

But I didn't want you to think I was a turd licker. (Just passing through and not posting a reply)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok the sun is starting to go down so i will flex it again tomorrow. The shock rod top washer looking thing is about 1/2 an inch from the tube. And the bumpstop is just touching the axle for reference

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I'm new to Jeeps again and don't know the answer.

But I didn't want you to think I was a turd licker. (Just passing through and not posting a reply)
Lmaoo that was a good laugh, but thanks man!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need more BS. The yellow foam jounce bumper is just a cushion (like a shock)
The solid part it sits into is your actual BS and limits up travel and ruining your shocks.
Ok cool, im thinking like an inch or so shoul give it just enough. You dont think the flexing i did today did any damage to my shocks do you? I was going very slow and did it just once. What say ye about the jks aluminum bump stops?

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Generally speaking you can't over bump stop. The BS just keeps your tire out of your fender. That said your BS does limit up travel! You'll really notice over BS driving fast down bumpy roads. If its just crawling you won't notice it that much but you will protect your fenders and shocks.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You would damage the shock. Assuming you would know it.

As far as the link above. He's correct but it's obvious in your pic, you're risking damage.

1" should help.
Im confused. Your saying if i did damage the shock i would know it by now? And i do know excessive bumpstop can limit up travel and thats what im worried about. I need like a happy medium lol. And i really cant pull my springs. Dont have the means to do so.

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
Im confused. Your saying if i did damage the shock i would know it by now? And i do know excessive bumpstop can limit up travel and thats what im worried about. I need like a happy medium lol. And i really cant pull my springs. Dont have the means to do so.
You should have bumpstop to at least match your lift height.

I really don't know what happens to a shock that's over compressed. Bent shaft? Leaking ?
I'm sure the ride would suffer.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
You need to add bumpstop. would you rather limit travel temporarily or need new shocks?

Add 2 inches of bumpstop. You can go from there. You're jounce is just barely touching and IIRC it's about 2 inches thick at least.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All you guys have me scared i just royally f**kd my shocks by being an idiot -__-

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's just means you can buy the longer 7000's :D
Oh .... And more bumpstop :rofl:

Check MC's adjustable BS's. they are stackable I believe. I don't know if you buy sections and add as needed or a kit.
I was waiting for you to say that lmaooo. Really shouldve got the longer ones from the start but thats ok. Will get the extensions when i get 35's. and im gonna look at the mc's as soon as im done writing this. And thanks goldensahara that makes me feel a little better. I was going really slow i just crawled up that rock to flex. I just went outside to look at it to. No fluid or anything and shaft seems ok. Oil line is about half an inch from the little metal cup thing where the shaft ends. it was close. So stupid of me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts