Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new to the site so first post here (but not new to Wranglers - had an 05 TJ SE a decade ago). I purchased a new (to me) 2014 JKU Sport with 77K at the first of this month. Absolutely love it. The Jeep had been a one owner and maintained meticulously at the dealership I bought it from (I have all the service records).

Last Friday, 12/23, I do a quick check of engine fluids and notice the coolant reservoir was about empty. Thinking that was odd (but did not have a baseline as to where it was when I took delivery), I went to the local Jeep dealer who in turn, sold me the incorrect coolant type (HOAT, not OAT). After pouring the incorrect type in my car (I know, I should have checked, but, hindsight is 20/20 - lesson learned), I brought it to the attention of the parts department who told their service manager. They admitted their error and immediately got me in for a coolant flush (at their cost). Took about 45 minutes and all was well. When I got home, I checked, and the coolant level was smack in the middle between MIN and MAX. I did some driving later in the afternoon and on Christmas Eve, I check, and notice the tank is almost bone dry again. I called the service department, who was closed, but spoke to the service manager, who said there was probably an air pocket when they filled it and when it came out, the coolant displaced the air and resulted in the drop of coolant. He told me to bring it back on Monday.

I bring it back on Monday and they again top it off, with the correct coolant type. It's held it's level all week with driving - but this morning, after sitting for a day, the level dropped to about an inch below the MAX level. I equate this to it being 20 degrees outside - when the previous temps during the week had been only in the 40s.

The Jeep had a few drops of coolant on my driveway for several mornings - I traced that down to the bottom corner of the radiator on the driver side. A simple hose off of the radiator from the front eliminated that and has not leaked since.

So - now, when I turn it off, I smell what could be coolant. I have checked everywhere I have researched to check. The hoses, the thermostat, the water pump gasket - and all appears well. I smelt this smell before I noticed it was low - which now has be concerned that it's leaking somewhere, and I can't figure it out. I am concerned about the cylinder head gasket and it getting in my oil, but, oil looks fine, oil level is fine, and car runs fine. I know the only way to check for sure is through a UOA but are there any other tests/checks I can do?

I had read that if I smell it in the engine area, then, it's leaking out somewhere and that's what's causing the burning smell. Any truth to that?

What can I check next? Thankfully, it looks like the cylinder head and head gasket and/or water pump and seals would be covered under the the 5 year / 100K warranty maybe? Thoughts?

Any where else I should think to check?? Thoughts? Am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Since the dealer was dealing with the problem you can request that they pressure test the system to make sure that there are no leaks. Since it was worked on, you could be getting a residual odor from coolant burning off from some that probably spilled. Also, OAT coolant has a stronger odor than HOAT and since the expansion tank is vented you'll also get an odor from there. With JK's it's a good idea to keep the coolant level in the expansion tank approx. 2-3" above the MIN line cold. The level doesn't have to be maintained at the MAX line and it's actually better not to keep it that high. If the level is kept too high the coolant will push out through the vent and there will be an odor if that happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had that problem with mine last week. I would recommend running the engine in park till it's warmed up and pressurized then cut it off and watch for it to start leaking somewhere. I ended up having 2 issues. The small return line running from the top of the radiator to the reservoir needed a new hose clamp and was leaking around it. And also the spring on my radiator cap was loose and leaked around it so I replaced the cap and hose clamp and it solved my problem. You could also try pouring some coolant dye in and check with a blacklight to see where the leak is coming from.

Also as @kik said, if the reservoir is too high, some could get pushed out.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
I just had the same issue with the burning coolant smell on my 14 jkur with 53000 miles (took it in for warranty work on my seat and asked them to check the coolant smell). dealer pressure tested the system and apparently one of the radiator hose clamps needed repositioning. I get home and the little hose off the cap is spewing coolant (it was not before as I checked for the leak before even mentioning it) I had a little clamp so no big deal I just installed the clamp. Crazy thing is after I get it home it starts leaking engine oil down both sides of my tranny and it is coming from the top of the tranny and running down on both sides . Never has it dripped a drop and after they fix the coolant leak it starts leaking oil. dealer is 6 miles from my house. take it back for the oil leak and they tell me they cant find it. they tell me they put dye in the oil and have it up on the rack and don't see anything. I drive it home and sure as sh!t its still leaking I hate dealerships lol. I am going to let it leak until oil is every where and take it back.

·
Super Moderator
22,105 Posts
View attachment 3391882

^^^Hey Jeff, maybe oil pressure switch area in back of the cooler filter housing.
kind of my thought but all but impossible to see. I have tried as I might to get a view but just cant see back there. I have a scope but it does not show anything. I guess when enough oil as started dripping I will go back. I am so anal I made the mistake of wiping all the oil off and I should have just left it.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I noticed the same thing this past fall in my 2015. No visible leak, but the bottle was low and I could smell it when standing up front once the engine was good and hot. Dealer replaced the radiator under warranty, made a mess of the repair they didn't clean up and I'm still losing coolant and getting the smell, but it isn't as bad. The loss is slow so I haven't brought it back in yet. Dealing with those idiots was painful last time and I don't want to deal with it right now.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,231 Posts
kind of my thought but all but impossible to see. I have tried as I might to get a view but just cant see back there. I have a scope but it does not show anything. I guess when enough oil as started dripping I will go back. I am so anal I made the mistake of wiping all the oil off and I should have just left it.
I just went out and took a look at mine. With the engine cover removed, which mine is always off..I wonder if the insulation on the back of the cooler just presses on, or is glued. If that just comes off without damaging it, you maybe able to get a flexible mirror and see that area with a LED flashlight shinning on it..don't know. Just a thought..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts