Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Thanks for reading. We got socked with close to 80 inches of snow this week outside Buffalo. My 4-door Sahara JK 2011 (manual) was in the driveway during the storm. In an attempt to clear my driveway of snow, I put the Jeep in 4wd high and backed down part of my driveway so I could shovel out. Following my several attempts of “plowing” into the snow with the back of my Jeep, I started seeing smoke filling my cab and I detected a very strong electrical burning smell (my floor mats are out as well as a couple plugs due the water issue I have). Everything appears to work. Our roads are closed so I have not had a chance to test drive my Jeep other than in my driveway.
Any thoughts as to what the smell might be coming from? I also noticed a yellow spots of fluid on the snow (note my radiator fluid is red and my washer fluid is blue). There is lots of snow packed under my Jeep.
Thanks!!
Dino

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
You effectively sealed the bottom of the rig with snow. So it could be anything along the bottom of the rig. The exhaust was probably blocked and superheating the engine compartment. Maybe the O2 sensor wires. Until you can get in, under, and around your rig there is not a lot to say.
Best bet on the yellow stains are from the neighborhood animals.

Don't eat the yellow snow...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would open the hood and check wiring I am not sure if buffalo has a rodent problem with them getting in the engine bay chewing the wire harness and filters for a bed. It may be a long shot but they may want to get out of the cold also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...I took the jeep out on the road...after a 4 mile drive, I pressed the clutch in to shift into second gear and the peddle went to the floor. So now I'm assuming the burning smell had something to do with my clutch. Not sure if this is a clutch issue or a transmission issue.

Based on these observations, does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on? I'm probably not going to be able to get it towed until next week.

Thanks!!

Dino

·
Registered
907 Posts
Update...I took the jeep out on the road...after a 4 mile drive, I pressed the clutch in to shift into second gear and the peddle went to the floor. So now I'm assuming the burning smell had something to do with my clutch. Not sure if this is a clutch issue or a transmission issue.

Based on these observations, does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on? I'm probably not going to be able to get it towed until next week.

Thanks!!

Dino
Dang that sucks, what about slave cylinder maybe check fluid res.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It is entirely possible it is the clutch. If you managed to get snow up into the drain hole during your plowing you got it up into the clutch disc. And the smell was most likely your clutch, not electrical.

Did you run up the RPMs and try to shift during your plowing? It would be the same as doing this function under water.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It is entirely possible it is the clutch. If you managed to get snow up into the drain hole during your plowing you got it up into the clutch disc. And the smell was most likely your clutch, not electrical.

Did you run up the RPMs and try to shift during your plowing? It would be the same as doing this function under water.
I was thinking the burning smell could be clutch too. Burning clutch kinda smells similar.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Next snow storm you need to put some duck tape over the holes before playing. I know it's not good to do that for long, but to move up and down the driveway it should work ok.

·
Registered
785 Posts
These yellow spots on the snow always puzzled me when the under body is dragging into it.
My JK did it, my Suzuki GV did it, my Cherokee XJ did it and I can continue. I always thought that it was the coolant, but it is not yellow in the JK, so still a mystery and it's not from animals.

·
Registered
783 Posts
These yellow spots on the snow always puzzled me when the under body is dragging into it.
My JK did it, my Suzuki GV did it, my Cherokee XJ did it and I can continue. I always thought that it was the coolant, but it is not yellow in the JK, so still a mystery and it's not from animals.
They spray the roads to DeIce with coolant don't they. Possible salt mixture. Gets on the bottom of vehicle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Regarding yellow fluid...They salt the heck out of our roads...the jeep wasn't out on the roads yet.

Well the Jeep is at the dealer. I still have my powertrain warrantee...does anyone know if the clutch would be covered under this generic warrantee?

Thank!

Dino

·
Registered
517 Posts
Regarding yellow fluid...They salt the heck out of our roads...the jeep wasn't out on the roads yet. Well the Jeep is at the dealer. I still have my powertrain warrantee...does anyone know if the clutch would be covered under this generic warrantee? Thank! Dino
Your dealer would have gone over that with you.
But yes. It should be covered.

And just a suggestion, and observation about the burning clutch.
I've noticed with the new jeeps, the clutch doesn't smell like it did in the older jeeps. My 95 was a far different smell. People often confuse the burning clutch with electrical.
And also, in such deep snow like that. You should treat it like you are off road. You are pushing a huge wall of heavy snow. It doesn't displace easy and packs tight.
4low will help prevent the clutch from burning on you. Just don't use it at high speeds or rpms.
That should help a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Regarding yellow fluid...They salt the heck out of our roads...the jeep wasn't out on the roads yet.

Well the Jeep is at the dealer. I still have my powertrain warrantee...does anyone know if the clutch would be covered under this generic warrantee?

Thank!

Dino
Clutch components are excluded from the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. :atomic:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts