Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Just a heads up. Wife was driving today in eastern chula vista, ca and noticed a brush fire. Some folks were already on scene, but the owner of a brand new JKU Rubi was standing there, slight burns on his body (arm and leg hair, according to my wife, was singed-off). He told another bystander that he was on a dirt road and his jeep simply started a fire! He said the vehicle itself was on fire (must have been small) and it spread to the ground. I know the road and its well groomed. It started the hillside ablaze as well. Local fire company showed up. All safe and fire out AFAIK.

He said the jeep was brand new. Could've been a 2011 or 2012. Wife and I have been looking at jeeps and she confirmed it looked NEW.

The fire when my wife saw it was around the vehicle... Vehicle wasn't yet engulfed... Don't know if it was saved.

Just an FYI... Could've been a million things, but keep an eye on your rides just in case, so no one gets injured like this poor guy.

I remember hearing that a couple new Challengers caught fire for no known reason... They're both Chrysler products, so who knows?!?!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Seen videos of a number of automatics that got too hot and have burned up. Saw a few that did the transmission line recall that caught on fire. Also saw one that caught debris in the skid plates that caught the Jeep on fire. It will be interesting to see the details on this one...

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Hey folks. Just a heads up. Wife was driving today in eastern chula vista, ca and noticed a brush fire. Some folks were already on scene, but the owner of a brand new JKU Rubi was standing there, slight burns on his body (arm and leg hair, according to my wife, was singed-off). He told another bystander that he was on a dirt road and his jeep simply started a fire! He said the vehicle itself was on fire (must have been small) and it spread to the ground. I know the road and its well groomed. It started the hillside ablaze as well. Local fire company showed up. All safe and fire out AFAIK.

He said the jeep was brand new. Could've been a 2011 or 2012. Wife and I have been looking at jeeps and she confirmed it looked NEW.

The fire when my wife saw it was around the vehicle... Vehicle wasn't yet engulfed... Don't know if it was saved.

Just an FYI... Could've been a million things, but keep an eye on your rides just in case, so no one gets injured like this poor guy.

I remember hearing that a couple new Challengers caught fire for no known reason... They're both Chrysler products, so who knows?!?!
Not a 2012.None have arrived in San Diego yet. This sounds like the auto trans fire inherent with pre 2012 models. Totally stinks for the owner.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Apparently, it was a two month old 2011. Here's the news article. Thanks for the heads up MaMopar.

Driver was offroading before Eastlake grass fire | SignOnSanDiego.com

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
It's guys like that, that ruin it for others. He put firefighters lives in danger. And pilots. Helllllooooooo..... the area was NOT a legal area for him to be, and the grasses this time of year are long and dry. Just plain dumb.
:nonono:

Sorry for the rant.....

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
It's guys like that, that ruin it for others. He put firefighters lives in danger. And pilots. Helllllooooooo..... the area was NOT a legal area for him to be, and the grasses this time of year are long and dry. Just plain dumb.
:nonono:

Sorry for the rant.....
Yep, you are spot on with the conditions in the area. Most of the hills are dry right now. I was just in the area last week, near the eastern TJ border crossing..very dry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, sorry for the intial lack of details... just reporting some rather quick observations by the wife.

*I must admit, and I've never owned a 4x4 of any kind, nor have I ever been off-roading (still waiting to purchase my first off road vehicle), that I didn't know your exhaust could cause a fire so easily! I can see if he was just letting the jeep idle in place, sure...

Lesson learned for me.

Be safe out there folks. Also, what's the best resource for information on safe and responsible off roading?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would have to suspect the catalytic convertor starting a brush fire before I automatically assume the transmission burned up. It's pretty common in the brushy areas in SoCal. Every year around here huge brush fires are started with just one spark. As for the driver's statements, I wouldn't believe a whole lot the guy said when he knew he was in the area illegally and had just started a fire. People go to prison for that sort of thing every year in California and I would assume he had a good story cooked up to cover his @$$.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would have to suspect the catalytic convertor starting a brush fire...
Based on previous posts I assume that TJs and all Jeeps with manual transmission don't have catalytic converters? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: All kinda reasons--I've owned LOTSA 4wds--no fires

My Lotus Esprit-dripped gas from the side carbs-right on the exhaust manifold and ByBy--

Redirect Notice

This isn't it, but spittin image-

20 years ago !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
From August '11 Jp magazine: "Looks like Wrangler importation to China is on hold because of reports of vehicles catching on fire. The general administration of quality supervision, inspection and quarantine pointed to the auto transmission and related components/systems as the problem."
I thought this thread ironic after reading this article 2 days ago...

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I would have to suspect the catalytic convertor starting a brush fire before I automatically assume the transmission burned up. It's pretty common in the brushy areas in SoCal. Every year around here huge brush fires are started with just one spark. As for the driver's statements, I wouldn't believe a whole lot the guy said when he knew he was in the area illegally and had just started a fire. People go to prison for that sort of thing every year in California and I would assume he had a good story cooked up to cover his @$$.

Right. Cat most likely cause. Stay out da' dry grass! :nonono:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts