Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the SS SYE tail housing, rear yoke, and double cardan joint on the drive shaft to get fairly warm after driving 3 or 4 miles? I just installed a SYE, new driveshaft, and did a TT and I drove a few miles then pulled back in my garage and smelled a burning smell that I believe was coming from around that area. I've read it can be the new drive shaft throwing grease on the exhaust but I'm concerned it may have something to do with the oil pump in the TC. I pulled the pump with the case half so I never disconnected it and I know it was connected when I put everything back, but I didn't inspect it for issues while I had the case open or make sure it was seated well. I'm going to look for grease when I get home to rule that out. I checked the TC fluid level and it was about 1/4 in lower than the fill hole because I filled it with the case slightly angled down resting on a jack stand so I topped if off last night. I haven't driven it since to see if that made a difference, but I wouldn't think it would. I'm going to try confirm for sure where the smell is coming from tonight. I'm sure with the TT there's probably a lot more heat being generated closer to the tub with less air flow now. I doubt the rest of this stuff is related, but here's a list of everything I've done to my jeep the past few months. The jeep was down this whole time and wasn't driven or started until all of this was installed and ready to go so I guess I can't 100% factor any of it out.

• LJ Dana 44 (changed gear oil and added Mopar limited slip fluid)
  • Rebuilt Parking Brakes
  • Replaced parking Brake cables
  • Centric rear rotors
  • Cemtric rear calipers
  • Extended rear brake line
  • 4 rear adjustable CA's
  • Adjustable rear TB
  • UCF Skid
  • SS SYE
  • Replaced rear shocks
  • Replaced front and rear driveshaft

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My guess would be grease from your new driveshaft. It flings everywhere and coats the muffler.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
See if the passenger side floor is getting hot...
Exhaust could be cooking the carpet

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess would be grease from your new driveshaft. It flings everywhere and coats the muffler.
That's what I'm hoping it is. I'm going to drive it around the block a few times this evening and try to confirm this before I drive too far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts