Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, as you all know - Boston is getting hammered with snow this year. I park on the street and have to shovel out my Jeep just to get it out of my on-street parking spot.

I don't do an awesome job removing the snow as I assume when 4x4 is engaged - it will plow right through it.

I don't use the 4x4 feature that often - and this year - I have twice - and both times - I smell burning and today I saw smoke coming out of the engine.

What am I doing wrong folks? Jeep only has 15,000 miles on it and I don't want to F it up...

Please advise.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
If you have a manual transmission, you may be scorching the clutch... but this doesn't exactly fit what you are describing... we need more info.

Does the burning and smoke occur when you put it in 4HI, 4LO? or does it happen after you have or are in the process of plowing through the snow?

What exactly does the burning smell like, rubber? plastic insulation? oil? clutch? brakes? water steam? engine coolant? electrical?

We have electric cooling fans on these, make sure there is no snow or ice binding the fan?

But, I'm betting clutch slippage/burning if you have a manual... if so, use 4WD and take it easy on your clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I must fall on the sword and confess this is the first time owning the Jeep that I've engaged 4hi/lo. Other words, I have no idea what's the difference but I believe I just pull the lever down to the middle... not sure where the smell is coming from but the jeep is completely surrounded by snow... i've been trying to just back and forth my way out of the parking spot.

In addition - the visible dark smoke was coming out of the front grill...

I'll review the owners manual and better educate my self on the features... just low on time these days.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As mentioned earlier thats just the snow evaporating by hitting the pipes and or the snow in the front of the radiator also evaporating.. You will see this alot during the fall and winter where condensation on the radiator will smoke out from the front.. Totally normal... Unless ofcourse its black smoke or something really smells like burning/charring

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
In addition to snow burning off of your drivetrain and exhaust, you'll get black smoke and a burning odor if you're constantly spinning your tires. Even with 4wd you can get stuck.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Like KIK says, if you are that buried, and you are rocking back and forth, you're probably spinning your front tires if you're in 4 wheel,, Since you sit "up front" if you spin the wheels, you will see/smell burning coming from the front tires,, You need a bigger shovel. I'd dig out, get out of you're spot, read the manual on shifting into 4 high for a start, then put it in 4-wheel on a snow covered area and see how your Jeep performs.. Even with the Rubi, if you're plowed in and in a rut, doesn't mean you won't have an issue. You're on snow/ice and you keep giving it gas, you'll dig deeper as the snow heats up and melts... Make sense?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts