Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. Has 54k on it, I bought it about 3 years ago. I've had to fill it up with coolant twice now from the couldn't reservoir. I'm not seeing any leaks anywhere, not seeing any milky residue in my oil, I do smell something like coolant or something burning after driving it for a while. I've been told it may be a blow head gasket or cracked head, like I said I'm not seeing any coolant in my oil. Trying to find the solution so I can fix myself, thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler. Has 54k on it, I bought it about 3 years ago. I've had to fill it up with coolant twice now from the couldn't reservoir. I'm not seeing any leaks anywhere, not seeing any milky residue in my oil, I do smell something like coolant or something burning after driving it for a while. I've been told it may be a blow head gasket or cracked head, like I said I'm not seeing any coolant in my oil. Trying to find the solution so I can fix myself, thanks!
If it doesn't overheat, just let it run ant look for the leak. is the smell inside or outside?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the heater coil if you are getting the odor inside. Had one that would blow fog out the vents with the heat on had to replace the heater coil.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,400 Posts
Sounds like a blown head gasket since it's not leaking on the ground.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had the same issue. Mysterious disappearing coolant with no leaks or any sign of leaks under the hood or on the driveway. I kept adding coolant and driving it and it ran great until the oil pressure started dropping to zero at idle. I put a remanufactured engine in it which solved both problems. It was probably a leaking head gasket or cracked head and if I had dealt with it, maybe I wouldn't have had to put an engine in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 99 Chev. Z-71 with a 5.3 that did that since the day it was new. I would add coolant about every 5-9 thousand miles. It is still running fine at 235,000 miles. I can just slightly smell the coolant through the exhaust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the same problem, rented the tester showed nothing was wrong. No milky oil, no visible leaks. Had a shop replace head gasket just for hell of it, jeep had 160xxx miles on it. When they took head off they found several hair line cracks in the head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts