Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was concerned about the bushing on the transfer case thought that I would take a look to see what all was entailed on changing it out when it broke. I was surprised to see that most of the bottom was covered with heat shield, is this normal or aftermarket add on? I know it will have to come off to get to the bushing on the transfer case. Which looks like a PITA to do:) This is on a 2010 Jeep Sahara

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was concerned about the bushing on the transfer case thought that I would take a look to see what all was entailed on changing it out when it broke. I was surprised to see that most of the bottom was covered with heat shield, is this normal or aftermarket add on? I know it will have to come off to get to the bushing on the transfer case. Which looks like a PITA to do:) This is on a 2010 Jeep Sahara
IDK ? I take it you bought it used. Maybe post a pic..usually the end that connects to shifter is the
Hard one to replace , because you have to take console apart...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Canine, Skid plate, not heat shield which is a good thing for cover. Same white plastic bushings on both ends. Transfer case and shifter end. Wear and tear, too much pressure, they are designed to fail. I got 3 years on my 2012 JKU, so far so good, but I bought a couple just in case I had an issue. Cheap plastic bushings. Jeep dealer, cost was $3.00 each.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
In 2010 if you have an auto trans. you have a skid plate instead of a skid "bar". Maybe that's what you're seeing, or possibly the previous owner added additional protection which would be aftermarket. Only a photo will tell. It's not difficult to do if you have to swap out a clip. I keep a few extra plastic clips in the console of my 10 but I haven't had to swap one out yet.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In 2010 if you have an auto trans. you have a skid plate instead of a skid "bar". Maybe that's what you're seeing, or possibly the previous owner added additional protection which would be aftermarket. Only a photo will tell. It's not difficult to do if you have to swap out a clip. I keep a few extra plastic clips in the console of my 10 but I haven't had to swap one out yet.
I purchased it use from the dealer, would a skid plate be flexible ? I am thinking of going with the Advanced Adapters Transfer Case Cable Upgrade so I don’t have to worry about it. Appreciate all the replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let's add another level here. My white transfer case bushing broke. Bought many more. In trying to replace it, I busted the black female end that attaches to the end of the shifter cable. Dealer wants 120 for a new cable. Any ideas on how to Mickey mouse this together?

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Let's add another level here. My white transfer case bushing broke. Bought many more. In trying to replace it, I busted the black female end that attaches to the end of the shifter cable. Dealer wants 120 for a new cable. Any ideas on how to Mickey mouse this together?
Hmm, you could try and attach a small hiem joint to it some how. But for another hundred bucks
I'd just buy the Advance Adapters heavy duty JK shifter cable and be done with it. IMO....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts