Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Bushwacker cut out flares.(pocket look) Q is.....They don't near align with my old fender flare holes. Im talking the back of them is 3 inches above the old holes. covers more of the fender and looks good to me.....But Do I really need to drill all other holes to mount these flares? Anyone ever mounted tham can help before I drill all these holes? Thx.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, you will need to drill new holes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had to drill 1 hole each side back on 2002 wrangler to make them work.
The way these fit looks like im going to have to drill all the holes new except the signals. arrrrgggg I didnt realize this or I wouldn't even bought them. Not that they will show, and they will look good, But when you look under the flares.....The factory flar holes will show.....Should I put something in them? Like plugs or anything? I like the new look with the flares, But I don't really wanna drill all new holes in my fender. Guess I have no choice. Probably all after market flares will be the same way. HUH?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You have a couple of options. You can cut the exposed metal under the new flare, then paint or undercoat to protect from rust, or you might just scuff and paint the excess metal black to make it harder to see. Kinda hard to reverse, but not as permanent as cutting. Otherwise I would run some screws back in the holes or dab some silicone in to keep the bare metal dry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They fit the fender lines well....But It kinda leaves me to where the only option I ever got is these flares.....Or new fenders with other flares.....Kinda sux...But I guess I am gonna "drill baby drill"

·
Registered
357 Posts
That looks right as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I like the pockets. I would put em on, black out underneath and enjoy. And post before and after pics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx guys....Drill it is....I was just making sure I didn't get the wrong flares....I do kinda hate to drill too..But, Gotta do what I gotta do. Thx again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Man I have had a set of these in a box for like 2 weeks now waiting to be put on. I may have to hurry up and get started.

Did your Jeep have the factory side steps too?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man I have had a set of these in a box for like 2 weeks now waiting to be put on. I may have to hurry up and get started.

Did your Jeep have the factory side steps too?
My Jeep does have the factory sidesteps...These are easy to put on.. Just have to drill all new holes in the YJ. I am going to put other steps on mine though. You can make the factory steps work. Won't be able to use the little peice that goes behind the front flare if so. They are not bad to do, Just hated drilling holes for me. Once you go to these you have no choice of changing. They will have holes in your fenders far above the factory holes. I will be satisfied with these though, so im gonna drill them today. Good Luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When i installed mine, i just sprayed on a thick coat of rubberized undercoating and you can hardly tell that they are there, plus it gives the illusion of a bigger wheel well. you should have went with bushwackers new flat flares for the yj, there is zero drilling and they make it look like you have more lift then you really do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Jeep does have the factory sidesteps...These are easy to put on.. Just have to drill all new holes in the YJ. I am going to put other steps on mine though. You can make the factory steps work. Won't be able to use the little peice that goes behind the front flare if so. They are not bad to do, Just hated drilling holes for me. Once you go to these you have no choice of changing. They will have holes in your fenders far above the factory holes. I will be satisfied with these though, so im gonna drill them today. Good Luck.
I was wrong about using your side steps...The back flares take up alot more room than the front. You have to drill all new holes in the back. Have to remove the back part of the step also. These really look nice. But I HATED drilling all new holes in my jeep. But am happy overall. They look nice. Just show alot of the body on the rear. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
They are cut out flairs did u not read the discription be for you purchased them? If you didn't want to mod ur yj for those flairs then order something else, not trying to b mean but they are called cut out for a reason

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just put some on my '93 with 31x10's. I love the way they look. Drill on!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts