Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 TJ with 1"BL and 2" spacer lift. Wheels are off a new JK 17" with the standard goodyear wrangler 255/75/17 on 1 1/2" lug spacers (adapters). My question is- anyone running the flat fender flares on a set up close to mine? Is the lift big enough to use flat fender flares and still look peportional? How sturdy are the flat fenders? Was going to go with the Bushwacker pocket style but now leaning towards the flat. 80% street 20% dirt. Any input would be great, PICs?? thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
just put on the flat fenders. Not quit the same as yours. 33's 4" with 1" bl. Now I think it needs 35's to look right. The flat would probably look better on yours but Im not really a pocket fender guy. They curve down to much.

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
My Bushwhacker flat fender flares didn't last long, they tore off the first time I rubbed them against an offroad obstacle. Granted, some trails are extra-hard on things like fender flares but...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have the flats and love the way they look.. also with the 33s they cover the wheels and keep the wet stuff from being flung all over the place, the stockers wouldnt have done that.. I dont care for wheels that stick outside of the wheel wells or fenders though.

Dana

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well I'd say pocket...but I might be biased :) I'm not really going to offroad this one, and after I put the 31x10.5's on they stuck out about 3" beyond the ugly factory ones....so the 6" pocket ones are great IMO...

BTW I did not lift it....(yet)

·
Registered
69 Posts
KPKELVIS said:
I have a 98 TJ with 1"BL and 2" spacer lift. Wheels are off a new JK 17" with the standard goodyear wrangler 255/75/17 on 1 1/2" lug spacers (adapters).
I think that's 32's right? I like the look of flats and you don't have to worry about rubbing as much. The down side would be that cosmetic- you'll be showing more wheel well. Here's a pic of mine with flats with 33s and a 2" lift . So the difference would be 2 more inches of space.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pocket Flares are very unattractive, IMO..... and all Bushwaskers are brittle and expensive.
I have Rugged Ridge; can be flats with some trimming but not needed... under $200.00 surprisingly strong. Am very happy.
And they do take a fair beating and bounce back.
Have bent my ends on tree trunks a time or two and they still look relatively new.
Below = 33" tires, 1" wheel spacers, on wheels with just under 5" of backspacing. Tires are fully inside on the trail so same flex as flats and more proportional looking. Also just my opinion .............

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
I forgot to mention that Bushwhacker's pocket flares are molded from a very brittle crack-prone plastic. Their flat fenders on the other hand are molded from a softer more flexible plastic that will bend and not break nearly as readily as their pocket flares will.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I forgot to mention that Bushwhacker's pocket flares are molded from a very brittle crack-prone plastic. Their flat fenders on the other hand are molded from a softer more flexible plastic that will bend and not break nearly as readily as their pocket flares will.
Some people call them Bushcrackers but it's not bushes that crack.:D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ive run the 7" rugged ridge extension flares...and im running flat flares on my current. I like all the different styles, pocket, flat, or stock wise. Just depends on what look, or functionality you are going for.

The 7" Rugged Ridge ones did a good job of keeping the mud out of the cab, even covering 38x15 boggers.

These are actually made by TAG, half the price and very sturdy. Figured i'de try them out a while. Like em so far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[QUOTE="

These are actually made by TAG, half the price and very sturdy. Figured i'de try them out a while. Like em so far.[/QUOTE]
That's what I use too. How did you hide the turn sig wires? Mine hang down.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
I had pocket flares before I knew better.

They broke.

Now I know better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hmm think i wire tied the turn signal harness to the stock fog light harness to keep it "taunt", then i used one of those lil screw down clips that wrap the wire and have a screw hole in them. Forget what they called, but work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I ordered some pocket flares in September about a week after I ordered my 2013 JK. I didn't open the box until after the vehicle arrived on Oct. 31. Much to my surprise, these are not made out of the same material that previous flares were. I had Bushwacker pocket-style flares on my '03 TJ. The material was thick, relatively sturdy and looked great. These new ones are thin, brittle and very cheap looking...no where near as sturdy as the OEM fenders, which aren't that great to begin with. In addition, Bushwacker's description is "matte black". These are a shiny, textured, hard plastic. I almost thought they might be counterfeit. That's how bad they looked. They totally suck...and Amazon's allowable return date has passed...so it would cost me $140 UPS shipping fees to return them and I would only get 80% of my purchase price back. Anybody looking for a set? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I ordered some pocket flares in September about a week after I ordered my 2013 JK. I didn't open the box until after the vehicle arrived on Oct. 31. Much to my surprise, these are not made out of the same material that previous flares were. I had Bushwacker pocket-style flares on my '03 TJ. The material was thick, relatively sturdy and looked great. These new ones are thin, brittle and very cheap looking...no where near as sturdy as the OEM fenders, which aren't that great to begin with. In addition, Bushwacker's description is "matte black". These are a shiny, textured, hard plastic. I almost thought they might be counterfeit. That's how bad they looked. They totally suck...and Amazon's allowable return date has passed...so it would cost me $140 UPS shipping fees to return them and I would only get 80% of my purchase price back. Anybody looking for a set? :rofl:
What if you spent another $300 and get them covered in bed lining material to firm them up?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Speaking of '03 Pocket Flares - here's my '03 with Bushwacker Pocket Flares

They came color-coordinated with my Tomb Raider-edition:thumb:

Laguna Salada, Baja California, Mexico

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
What if you spent another $300 and get them covered in bed lining material to firm them up?
That's not a bad idea...but I'm afraid the bed lining material might cause its own set of problems...fit, flaking, etc. I have a friend whose daughter painted her entire TJ with bed liner. It started flaking off several months later and is now almost completely off the vehicle.

·
Registered
496 Posts
ive had bushwackers on a few of my rigs.look good but thats about it.if your cruisin the mall or a sema show they are great.if you going off road then dont waste your money.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I got my flat wackers for tire coverage and I think they look cool. But if you think you're going to hit some trails where you're going to rub and bounce your Jeep fenders off of rocks and trees I suggest you completely remove your fenders and install steel tubular rock crawling style protection.
I personally try to stay away from the body damaging trails so my flares work well for me. I tend to stick to moderate woods trails and have started to turn around more often as opposed to going through. Guess I'm getting wimpy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts